• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Cheap as chips nibbles.

Harry Palmer

Very Addicted
I had a great couple of days with the 'stove master' and he took me to a small discount food warehouse over in Merthyr Tydfil (like a very small B&M) and I picked up some great bargains. All food and drink items are close to UBD or past but thats never worried me; so I picked up

500ml bottles of Orangina, case of 12, £5 (in date)

Aussie Bodies protein bars, case of 12, £1 (past date)

Made in the USA, case of 12 sachets of Quacker Grits, three cases, £2 (past date)

Madecasse chocolate bars, coffee or chillie flavour with very high coca content, 10 bars, £1 (past date)

Hot Chocolate sachets, 20 for £1 (past date)

So, any good?

Orangina is fine
Aussie Bodies bars have gone a little hard but OK
Chocolate bars are amongst the best chocolate I've ever eaten, well past date but the bars are packed in mylar with a heavy paper outer and the chocolate is perfect.
The Grits are...Grits, they are OK.
The hot chocolate only makes 150ml but at 5p a go just use two packs and the drink is great tasting, thick and creamy.

I tried the chocolate bars in the car park and went back and picked up another 40 bars.

Not a bad little trip and I'll definitely go back when I'm over that way again.

Nowt wrong with eating food past the UBD harry. Do it myself.. within reason obviously lol. Sounds like a good spot for some bargains.. we have a shop about 16 mls form us that’s just opened. Along the same lines as the one you mentioned. Yet to venture in but it’s on the to’do list :thumbsup:

The last ration pack I opened in 2018 had most content 'use by 2017' and all content was good. The packet of Oreo biscuits had a use by label of 2017 stuck over the original Oreo date on the packet which was 2014, again, no problem.

Discount Branded Food
Harlan Business Park,
Goat Mill Rd,
Dowlais
CF48 3TE

Be quick, stock changes on a regular basis.

Use By dates are very much a guideline for me, I've eaten cheap noodles and packet pastas that are a couple years out of date, all good. I don't dick about with fresh meat but most stuff just gets the sniff test.

With fresh food a good fridge is essential at home, its well worth spending a good amount on one. At 5c bacteria goes to sleep, mine runs at 4c. Example, if I'm going away for a couple of weeks I clear the fridge but last year I just forgot. Got home after two weeks and I lost nothing from the fridge due to spoilage, even fresh milk (blue top of course) which was about 10 days out of date was fine, the lettuce had gone a bit limp but that was all.

I ate a ration pack from the first gulf war , was well out of its date , only thing dodgy was the chocolate that had completely melted and then re formed with a strange white coating , I skipped on that ......

The white coating is just sugar and milk solids separating, you could have eaten it.

Thanks Harry, I'll look in there. I find with most foods marked with a best before date rather than a use by date it's fine to use them years later. I've just finished a case of Marmite from before they wimped out and started using yeast byproducts from lager instead of proper ale...it must have been ten years old but there is so much salt in it and it's sealed in jars so its bacteria proofed.

Back