• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Cheap CO2 rifle

Ystranc

Administrator
Staff member
I've just picked up an SMK78s. For something that I would have written off as a piece of Chinese crap before trying it, it is actually a pretty good little air rifle.
It's massive drawback is the fact that it uses the co2 bulbs but it is so light and easy to use its ridiculous. This one has had the barrel shortened slightly and re-crowned, a seal upgrade, a trigger upgrade and a sound moderator.
It is in fact a very nicely balanced lightweight air rifle producing around 10.5 f/lbs. Ideal for wood pigeons!

I've just picked up an SMK78s. For something that I would have written off as a piece of Chinese crap before trying it, it is actually a pretty good little air rifle.
It's massive drawback is the fact that it uses the co2 bulbs but it is so light and easy to use its ridiculous. This one has had the barrel shortened slightly and re-crowned, a seal upgrade, a trigger upgrade and a sound moderator.
It is in fact a very nicely balanced lightweight air rifle producing around 10.5 f/lbs. Ideal for wood pigeons!
I have an SMK Springer on. 22 and apart from the lousy trigger action it's fine

The upgrade kits seem to be well worthwhile, I get the impression that these rifles may be a little rough around the edges as standard but a bit of attention to detail seems to improves them beyond belief.
Since they're under £160 brand new it isn't going to break the bank.

The upgrade kits seem to be well worthwhile, I get the impression that these rifles may be a little rough around the edges as standard but a bit of attention to detail seems to improves them beyond belief.
Since they're under £160 brand new it isn't going to break the bank.
I agree mate, it's more about the man behind the gun. You can have the worlds most expensive gun but it's worthless if you can't shoot

Nice one mate 👍

From what you have said.....it sounds like someone has invested time in tweaking........smoothing out the rifle......bonus for you.....sounds like all the work has been done ;)
Even the higher end rifles Springers or PCPs that are mass produced can benefit from a tinker and tuning.
How many shots are you getting on average per bulb?......... be slightly less in the cooler weather.

Any pictures for us? :)

Google a shop called TR Robb he did a precharge adapter kit for that rifle so you could charge it with a divers bottle... Had one many moons ago was savage on air rather than co2

Nice one mate 👍

From what you have said.....it sounds like someone has invested time in tweaking........smoothing out the rifle......bonus for you.....sounds like all the work has been done ;)
Even the higher end rifles Springers or PCPs that are mass produced can benefit from a tinker and tuning.
How many shots are you getting on average per bulb?......... be slightly less in the cooler weather.

Any pictures for us? :)
I don't know yet, I've only just got it and I'm working today. I

Chinese rifles have improved quite alot in the last few years. i would be careful about the precharged conversion these have not been very successful as the working pressures for co2 and compressed air differ greatly and you risk blowing the gun up. The other thing to remember is that co2 is affected by temperature power goes down when its cold and up when its hot.

Ok, I've given it a try, it's great to use but it has a slow gas leak down the barrel, I'm guessing it's the seal in the hammer valve.
I've just put 40 pellets through it in quick succession. It's quiet, it's accurate even just using a Daisy red dot sight......Ideal for following squirrels and pigeons.
Time to buy a seal kit and a wholesale order of bulbs from Anglo Arms.

Any information that you guys can give me about stripping it down would be greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately the rifle has antitamper bolts so stripping it may be difficult.... Go to TR Robb Web site there is a video on removing the bolts and you can get a service kit from him

to help preserve the life of the seals its recommended you store the rifle with out any co2 capsules in it . you also buy co2 capsules that contain a small amount of oil which you use at regular intervals to help keep the seals in good order. i think they are supplied buy walther or umarex.

Unfortunately the rifle has antitamper bolts so stripping it may be difficult.... Go to TR Robb Web site there is a video on removing the bolts and you can get a service kit from him
There are no anti tamper screws or bolts on it at all, it seems to be slotted screws or 2.5mm Allen keys all the way. The only awkward bit is tightening the piercing guide block to form a perfect seal when reassembling. There is a special tool for that but it's not going to be hard to make a simple version out of a piece of flat steel.
It's not hard to see why these rifles get modified so much, they're very easy to work on. Mr Robb will be seeing a bit of my money over the coming days...I like this one enough to tune it up and keep it.

Last edited:
Ok, update, the seal on the exhaust valve/hammer valve had a little piece of CO2 bulb embedded in it, enough to cause the slow leak. I've upgraded to a stainless steel exhaust valve and give the entire set of internals a clean up.
I've improved the flow through the transfer port and pellet probe on the bolt. Reduced the piercer return spring and I'm waiting on a hammer Spring upgrade. The trigger received a clean up, shims and adjustment. New seals and moli grease inside and gun slick on polished surfaces of the the hammer and bolt.
I've just tried it with one gas bulb and it's much better, leak is cured. Sight is mounted ready for zeroing (with two bulbs) after I've got it roughly correct on one bulb.

Back