• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

cheap homemade stoves/cookers

stephenjames213

Very Addicted
There are many kinds of stoves/cookers that you can buy from camping shops or the internet, im very shore one of the staff will do a write up on them at some point soon.

I would like to list off a couple homemade /makeshift stoves, I am shore some people come under the group that cant afford the top £ market ? , I my self come under this radar due to no work, so I came up with a plan on searching for cheap ways to make my own with a little effort, some times you can make these from stuff laying around the home ...

A simple one would be the hunters style fire cooking,, you place bricks or flat stone on the ground in a square shape you then build a fire in the centre and place 4 bricks/stones around one on each side, you can the use this too cook on with pot/pans and boil water.

Then you have the charcoal fire in a split drum with wire grill to cook on , it's best to place rocks/stones around this to stop rocking and moving around.

Vegetable oil can and use wood chippings ,Lay the can on to it's back upon rocks each end so you get a gap underneath ,perforate the underside with holes so you get ash fall , then cut the bottom off the can so you will get a through draft of air to help the fire and easy way to feed the fire, then cut two hole on top so you can boil/cook with two pans at one time..

I will in time add more homemade or cheap ways to cook when camping etc...

when on a normal camping/buchcraft trip and not learning just to stay alive ,you should all ways take care and make shore you use good methods of cooking and not cause conservation problems. camp cooking fires can result in the damage to wide areas of grassland/bushland. just keep in mind conservation fires protect the ground/soil, and wildlife.

Hi, when me and the wife split (YEHHHHHHHHH) many moons ago, my lad went a bit of the rails, like you i was skint (well she did take me to the cleaners) i was allowed to use the work van when i wanted, so empty that out, chucked some bits and bobs in to take him away for the week end camping in it, only thing i did not have was a stove, so used some 1/4 copper tube, bent it in a circle and brazed it, drilled small holes all the way round, put some legs on and used R600a gas for fuel (i was a fridge engineer, so got the bits from work) It worked a treat, and of all the holidays we have been on, abroad and all that, that was the best and most special.

Megga, isn't that always the case, It's not the flashy expensive holidays you remember, but the ones which had real value. Nice one mate. Geoff:hp-beer:

Back