• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Cheap ‘Trangia’ Triangles

Sharpfinger

Slightly Addicted
It was last year (2020) during one of the later lock-downs that I was working on a compact brew kit option for short country walks with the missus and our mutt when I became aware of the shortage of and ridiculous prices being asked (and paid for!) the Trangia triangle stove. I think it was seeing one go for about 60 quid that spurred me into action.

I first ordered a (very) cheapo (copy?) version with a stainless burner.
I only wanted the stove plates but the burner came with them.
And trialed it at home.
Good job I did - it’s performance wasn’t very good.

I use the ‘SAT‘ sets, ali and stainless, all the time, each with the brass burner units and I’m well versed in their use and performance in all conditions including below freezing.
I came to the conclusion that the stainless burner unit saps a lot of energy from the (burning) fuel, probably why the Schwedes only made them from relatively lightweight brass.

I had decided that in any case going down the Trangia gas burner route would be a better solution (but bought a Gosystem unit for £20!).
Then I discovered that it wouldn’t fit the cheapo triangle plates.
So I ordered some 0.7 mm stainless steel plate off the Bay (6 quid for a dozen cut to my requirements) and decided to make my own.

Ever tried cutting and drilling (thin) stainless steel plate?
Even though I’d done this before, converting a stainless cutlery holder into a hobo stove, with basic bench tools it proved - challenging.
Cutting the shapes for the pot rest and the locating slots proved interesting with metal shears; saw and even eventually the craft tool with carbon discs.
Holding the plate for hole drilling was equally exciting on the first occasion in the bench drill vice when a loose plate flailing on the end of the drill bit became akin to the blades on the wheels of a gladiator’s chariot!

Clamping the plates to sacrificial pieces of ply board and judicious use of the aforementioned craft tool and carbon discs eventually saw mastery over the errant metal.
Accurate fitting up and the inherent spring in the steel ensures that the burner unit is held firm.

The intended configuration shown in the image proved to be less efficient than when the plates are used the other way up with what were supposed to be the pan support serrations on the ground. I assume that this is because the burner-flame-to-pot-bottom sweet spot is achieved better that way up. (I tell people that the serrations were always intended to anchor the stove in soft terrain!🤥)

So was it worth it?

Well it was defo an interesting learning experience and a small personal achievement. And even with the price of the redundant stainless set included I’m still well short of 60 quid for the stove triangle. So yes.
It also gives an idea of what we should be really paying for the massed produced versions of these stoves.
All aspects considered I would suggest tops £10-15.
But Sixty? Go see a doctor. 🤣

45843117-F181-4E10-A971-5C4422463A75.jpeg

Back