• Welcome to Life In The Wilderness

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Chemists Are Running Out Of Flu Drugs As Outbreak Worsens

lonewolf

Neo Luddite Prepared Survivalist.
I gave up having the flu jab about 5 years ago when there was some talk about there being swine flu medication in it too, the strange thing is the only time I got flu was when I was having the jab, I haven't had flu for years but then I don't mix with large groups of people especially in the winter months.

lonewolf

I've got news for you mate, we already have superbugs that don't respond to the drugs we have now.
I refuse to let someone inject something into my body without me knowing what it is, and they never tell anyone, its just the flu injection of that year, it changes from year to year. it was the rumour that swine flu was in it too that put me off and I have refused it ever since.
isolation is a far better deterrent anyway. remove myself from other people stops a lot of nasty things happening and i'm not just talking bugs here.
funnily enough they were talking on breakfast news only this morning about doctors overprescribing drugs. mostly about addiction to legal medication but it was said about GP's only function is to prescribe, prescribe and more prescribing. it seems we have a country full of people addicted to prescription drugs, its a funny old world.
I wonder how they will fare post SHTF when all the drugs are trashed and no more is being produced? not well, and that's putting it mildly.

Last edited:

greenbear

Extremely Addicted
This is an interesting subject, and one we have discussed before. I am in favour of using as little in the way of antibiotics etc as possible. Partly as I believe we develop a degree of natural immunity if things are left alone and partly because if we do need to use them they still work on us as individuals, albeit to a potentially less effective level (we receive tiny does through the water cycle etc whether we chose to or not).

Of course if there is a Spanish Flu epidemic I would not wish to take my chances without them.

lonewolf

I prefer natural remedies and staying out of crowded places, germs are spread by people and their actions, spitting in the street, sneezing over other people and using a sleeve as a handkerchief-or not, that's what causes germs to spread.
most germs, but not all, cannot live outside a human host for more than 48 hours, watch what you touch, most public surfaces have hundreds of germs on them, public toilets, buses, trains etc.etc.

greenbear

Extremely Addicted
I was listening to Michael Mosley not so long ago and he was talking about this very thing. What he was saying is that we don't wash our hands often enough so, for example, we go into public loo, use it and wash our hands, but the previous user may not have done. We then touch the door hand and a short while later touch our faces (I didn't realise until I listened to hi talking on the subject just how often we do touch our faces) and transfer the other persons germs onto our membranes (eyes, nostrils, mouth etc).

lonewolf

yes, washing our hands in a public loo is fine, but the tap, the soap dispenser, the dryer and finally the door handle then reinfects our hands, I wait until I get outside then I use a hand sanitizer spray bottle which I carry everywhere in public to clean my hands- before I touch anything else.
I have tried telling this to other people in public, but you just get a blank stare and total ignorance.

I've got news for you mate, we already have superbugs that don't respond to the drugs we have now.
I refuse to let someone inject something into my body without me knowing what it is, and they never tell anyone, its just the flu injection of that year, it changes from year to year. it was the rumour that swine flu was in it too that put me off and I have refused it ever since.
isolation is a far better deterrent anyway. remove myself from other people stops a lot of nasty things happening and i'm not just talking bugs here.
funnily enough they were talking on breakfast news only this morning about doctors overprescribing drugs. mostly about addiction to legal medication but it was said about GP's only function is to prescribe, prescribe and more prescribing. it seems we have a country full of people addicted to prescription drugs, its a funny old world.
I wonder how they will fare post SHTF when all the drugs are trashed and no more is being produced? not well, and that's putting it mildly.
I'm not suggesting that you get injected, I was only pointing out that the longer it is between flu infections the worse it hits you and that you can take isolation too far.

lonewolf

a normal flu outbreak is doable, by washing copiously and using hand sanitizer in public places, staying away from crowds etc.
its only if it becomes a pandemic, with modern methods of rapid transit, a disease can spread around the globe in little more than 24 hours, that when me and mine go into personal total lockdown(isolation), that's another reason why I have food stores.
I also have stores of medical gloves and surgical masks.

Harry Palmer

Very Addicted
Masks are more important than gloves. Also watch how much you rely on hand sanitizer,

'In a 2011 study by the Epidemic Intelligence Service at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, researchers found that health care employees who were most likely to use hand sanitizers over soap and water for routine hand washing were nearly six times more at risk for outbreaks of norovirus, which causes most cases of acute gastroenteritis.'

Using them leaving public toilets is pretty much pointless too, just don't stick your fingers in your mouth until you have washed them preferably with soap and water.

lonewolf

washing with soap and water inside the toilet then reinfecting our hands on the door handle is also a waste of time.
especially as at the entrance to wards what do you see? hand sanitizer pumps and a notice for visitors to use them.
and what about the germs on the average supermarket trolley? especially after some kid has stood in the trolley with his mucky shoes picking his nose?
human beings have very disgusting habits.

Last edited:

Harry Palmer

Very Addicted
As I said, don't stick your fingers in your mouth, think of routes of cross contamination/infection and you won't need the hand gel anywhere near as much. Its not as easy as many think to get infected with bacteria/virus

lonewolf

its not what I do that's the problem, its other people spitting in the street and sneezing down other peoples necks.
like I said, human beings have disgusting habits.

Harry Palmer

Very Addicted
That sneezing is why masks are pretty much more important than hand gel. If your hands have no open wounds or sores and you don't hand to mouth cross contaminate you'll be fine.

When you search for something like 'is abc good for you' google will mostly give answers which reinforce the 'good' bit of your question so I go the yin/yang route and search for 'is abc bad for you' as well. Doing this you'll get more balanced data to base your view on.

Droplet infection is perhaps the most common way bugs spread.

swamp rat

Extremely Talkative
who gets flu ?????? yes people get bad colds ,but I don't know anyone who has ever had the flu
the flu is something that can kill you
and they still cant cure the common cold
so wtf is a flu jab

No, flu is quite common which is why the NHS wastes/invests millions of pounds each year trying to vaccinate the elderly and infirm like LW..:rofl:..most people in the UK are well nourished and able to shrug off an attack of flu because we have had it before and built up a resistance.
Should somebody with asthma, no resistance or a compromised immune system catch flu it's really quite dangerous.
It's also dangerous when we encounter a strain of flu that is fundamentally different to the strains we are used to and have developed a degree of immunity to.
Each time flu passes from person to person it mutates, sometimes even passing between species causing a major mutation which may or may not lead to a dangerous strain such as the 1918 flu pandemic that killed tens of thousands.

lonewolf

I had flu back in 1998 and it developed into bronchitis, but I haven't had it since then.
nearly 20 years now and most of that time I didn't have the flu jab.

Last edited:

lonewolf

No, flu is quite common which is why the NHS wastes/invests millions of pounds each year trying to vaccinate the elderly and infirm like LW..:rofl:.
ere! who you calling elderly and infirm you cheeky git?:lol: i'm fitter and healthier than some people I know who are 20 years younger. especially these obese lumpunts I see everywhere these days, they even look like a different/seperate human species.
maybe they are a new type of Neanderthals??:p

Last edited: