• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Chestnuts

1 shot willie

Very Obsessed
Just about the right time to go foraging for a few Chestnuts before the Squirrels pinch them all.
Going to cook and freeze some for the Christmas dinner to go in with the Brussels :)
As well as bake a few to eat now.
Like them raw too......good eating.

Any one else going out for a few?

Last edited:
They don't really prosper around here, I think they prefer better drained ground with a bit more chalk. We're mostly on clay.

Have a wholes trees worth to use up , you can make flour with them , a bit long winded process but might give it a go this year,

not on that scale of course!

Last edited:
Just about the right time to go foraging for a few Chestnuts before the Squirrels pinch them all.
Going to cook and freeze some for the Christmas dinner to go in with the Brussels :)
As well as bake a few to eat now.
Like them raw too......good eating.

Any one else going out for a few?
Do you remember our very first meet in the chestnut grove Bill? Bombarded all night with those beautiful fat nuts landing on the tarps. that was a great weekend :)

Indeed I do Joe it was a nice few days and great company.
Shame that the permission owners got a bit twitchy.

I do remember well..... those fat nuts banging on my tarp........ I am still amazed how you managed to reach :eek: :D

Going to make the most of this lovely morning and dry bright spell....Lorraine and I are off up to the woods to get some of those Chestnuts we talked about :) :thumbsup:
Might do a round robin and top up the feeders too in the other woods........see how the time goes for us.

Well.... A bit dissapoitning.... But we managed enough for Christmas Dinner
IMG_20191006_123240.jpg

A lot on the ground but small and the husks were not opening.
Another couple of weeks and we will go back for another look.

IMG_20191006_105700.jpg

It was lovely in the woods all the same.

Nearly there on trying chestnut flour, in the over on as low as possible after crossing them, they will be on the pilot light warming through until the footie starts 40 in total could have ALOT more. sliced in half to help dry them out and find any maggot infested ones then back on the pilot light then the blender to get a nice fine flour, in theory that is!

IMG_5230.JPG
IMG_5231.JPG
IMG_5233.JPG
IMG_5235.JPG
IMG_5237.JPG

Nearly there on trying chestnut flour, in the over on as low as possible after crossing them, they will be on the pilot light warming through until the footie starts 40 in total could have ALOT more. sliced in half to help dry them out and find any maggot infested ones then back on the pilot light then the blender to get a nice fine flour, in theory that is!

View attachment 19351View attachment 19352View attachment 19353View attachment 19354View attachment 19355
Chestnut stuffing, bread, cakes the list is endless Bill

Way to go......nice healthy looking hauls there :thumbsup:
We actually binned ours in the end......hope to do better next time :)

Back