• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Chicken of the woods perhaps?

Woodlander

Very Addicted
Just spotted this on a walk, can anyone confirm if it is what I think? Too small to harvest but help to recognise in the future
20220820_202749.jpg
20220820_202758.jpg
20220820_202804.jpg

Yep, Chicken of the Woods, no doubt about it. It looks to be at the perfect point for harvesting.

I thought I'd add a bit more info: Chicken-of-the-wood (aka Sulphur Polypore) really can't be confused with anything else. It's a bracket fungus with pores on the underside, it's alternative name is a big clue because of it sulphur yellow colour. The only thing that you could confuse it with is Hen-of-the-woods, which doesn't have the bright yellow colour and is brown. This confusion is unlikely and doesn't matter, because Hen-of-the woods is equally edible. You do need to check what it's growing on though, deciduous trees are fine but it also grows on Yew and could pick up the toxins.
By the time we get to the meet in two weeks time we should be at the height of the mushroom season, especially if we get some rain between now and then. Three days after rain they seem to pop up like mushrooms........Oh! Wait! They are mushrooms! 😳 So a little ramble to see what we can find might be on the cards.

I thought I'd add a bit more info: Chicken-of-the-wood (aka Suphur Polypore) really can't be confused with anything else. It's a bracket fungus with pores on the underside, it's alternative name is a big clue because of it sulphur yellow colour. The only thing that you could confuse it with is Hen-of-the-woods, which doesn't have the bright yellow colour and it brown. This confusion is unlikely and doesn't matter, because Hen-of-the woods is equally edible. You do need to check what it's growing on though, deciduous trees are fine but it also grows on Yew and could pick up the toxins.
By the time we get to the meet in two weeks time we should be at the height of the mushroom season, especially if we get some rain between now and then. Three days after rain they seem to pop up like mushrooms........Oh! Wait! They are mushrooms! 😳 So a little ramble to see what we can find might be on the cards.
That would be awesome! I have found and eaten chicken of the woods before. But when it comes to fungi, I check, double check, and triple check against several sources. Better safe than sorry in my book

There is an old saying: You can eat All mushrooms, but some you can only eat once. Unless I'm 100% certain, either because I know them, or because I have double checked in various books, they don't get eaten.

There is an old saying: You can eat All mushrooms, but some you can only eat once. Unless I'm 100% certain, either because I know them, or because I have double checked in various books, they don't get eaten.
I’m no expert but I do have some good reference books on fungi, there are usually cep growing on the adjoining land along the river bank but I have no permission to forage there, only shooting I’m afraid. 😞

Back