• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Chickens....ducks etc.

1 shot willie

Very Obsessed
Have we got any members who keep animals?

What have you got and how easy are they to keep.

Have we got any members who keep animals?

What have you got and how easy are they to keep.
I did mate, 4 Sussex hens that laid the most beautiful eggs and five rare breeds bantams, I lost the lot in one single night to a mink. Some animal rights morons broke into a mink farm (which I don't agree with) and released dozens of them

That's a shame Joe.....fresh eggs cant think of anything nicer :)
Have you not thought about getting some more.
How easy are they to keep and what did you feed them on?

That's a shame Joe.....fresh eggs cant think of anything nicer :)
Have you not thought about getting some more.
How easy are they to keep and what did you feed them on?
My chickens during the day had free run of the garden and veg plots, my bantams were fed a bran mash with vitamin supplements and their eggs really were the tastiest I've ever had

Any problems with lice or other things to think about Joe?
No Bill, that mainly affects poultry in close confines although I did put lice powder in the nesting boxes. Give them fresh water, fresh air and room to run and chickens will do just fine. I'll download a few pics of one of my specie bantams from photo bucket and post it here just to show how tame a bantam can become

I can see the need in nesting boxes mate.
Seeing them roam free is nice....I've been in a very large battery ( Spelling? ) and its sickening to see some of the birds in there....not all.....but the few.
Not a nice existence for them.

Look forward to the pictures mate.:thumbsup:

I can see the need in nesting boxes mate.
Seeing them roam free is nice....I've been in a very large battery ( Spelling? ) and its sickening to see some of the birds in there....not all.....but the few.
Not a nice existence for them.

Look forward to the pictures mate.:thumbsup:
The pictures will be here tomorrow Bill, and you'll see a bantam cock sat on the back of my chair watching TV with me:alert:

Look forward to the pictures Joe.

Place I was doing some work on years ago ( Old chapel renovation )....the guy who owned it kept some very exotic pheasants and bantams.....lovely birds.

Look forward to the pictures Joe.

Place I was doing some work on years ago ( Old chapel renovation )....the guy who owned it kept some very exotic pheasants and bantams.....lovely birds.
Well mate think of what we are lucky enough to now have in this country. Chinese pheasants , pheasants guinea fowl , even rabbits. All were bought into this country as a source of meat but now give us so much pleasure

We used to have chickens in an Eglu but they died of old age at the same time our youngest was starting to crawl around and try to eat everything so we didn't replace them. Will have them again in a few years and would buy another Eglu as it was simple to use and keep clean and pretty fox proof.

The pictures will be here tomorrow Bill, and you'll see a bantam cock sat on the back of my chair watching TV with me:alert:
047683623_926686448.jpg

Before I moved here I kept chickens, ducks, Muscovy ducks, goats and bees - I lost the bees in a cold winter, everything else was re-homed when I left.
At the moment I have 5 White Campbell ducks, 2 drakes, 3 ducks, which I hatched in an incubator - a wonderful experience if you can do it; the eggs were bought from e-bay.
I have a chicken house to build, and I want to hatch some more Scots Dumpies and Shetland ducks - I like my rare breeds.
I also have two hives to build - a National and a Warre, will get bees next year, but need to be ready for them.
Plenty of folk around here that buy my surplus duck eggs when I have them :)

Before I moved here I kept chickens, ducks, Muscovy ducks, goats and bees - I lost the bees in a cold winter, everything else was re-homed when I left.
At the moment I have 5 White Campbell ducks, 2 drakes, 3 ducks, which I hatched in an incubator - a wonderful experience if you can do it; the eggs were bought from e-bay.
I have a chicken house to build, and I want to hatch some more Scots Dumpies and Shetland ducks - I like my rare breeds.
I also have two hives to build - a National and a Warre, will get bees next year, but need to be ready for them.
Plenty of folk around here that buy my surplus duck eggs when I have them :)
Hi all my rare breeds bantams were hatched i a incubator and what a wonderful thing to watch as the shells crack and the chicks appear, unfortunately I lost the lot to mink which the animal rights morons a let free. Although my chicken and bantam houses were fox proof I never considered it would be mink that were the problem

Back