• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Chilli's

Keith 66

Quite Talkative
I got into growing Chillis about 10 years ago, back then the varieties available were limited but now there are loads.
I started out with Cayenne type & still grow them . Last year I had Ring of fire, Aji Limon, Two types of Jalapeno, Pot black, Hot wax & chocolate Bhut Jolokia. The Bhut jolokia was a disapointment, endless flower drop until late september when one of three plants had fruit.
The most productive were Pot black, Ring of fire & Aji limon, the last hit 5ft high & was still pumping new chillis out in late december.
I gave bags away at work & made a large quantities of sauce, tomato based, Pear & lemongrass chilli sauce (lemongrass also grown at home) & a carrot based one that is a particularly lurid colour.
This year i have just potted up Ring of fire, Aji limon, Anaheim, Big jim, Jalapeno, Hot wax & Golden cayenne,
I have found that i prefer growing the milder to hot ones & have given up on the toxic waste heat ones as they seem to be too much trouble. Heres hopng for some sunshine! Anyone else growing them?

I had a try once but it was an epic fail, can't remember what it was but it wasn't anything hot, may give it another go ?

Goes well with seafood dishes! The other favorite in our house is Jalapenos sliced in half, scoop out the seeds & fill with cheese of your choice then wrap with a spiral of bacon, roast in the oven for 15 -20 minutes, they are gorgeous.

Goes well with seafood dishes! The other favorite in our house is Jalapenos sliced in half, scoop out the seeds & fill with cheese of your choice then wrap with a spiral of bacon, roast in the oven for 15 -20 minutes, they are gorgeous.

Sounds gorgeous. Must try :thumbsup: have you tried chilly jam. Love the stuff lol

Last edited:
Yeah here's one I grew from seed. It's been flowering all winter, it's mental. It has one small green birds Eye Chilli on top. It's been on a windowsill and under a lamp for most of the Winter. As you can see I put it outside for a bit every day as long as the weather is not too cold, seeming to do well.
20180424_115746[1].jpg

Back