• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Chilly January Solo Camp

G1ZmO

Site Manager
Staff member
Ok I can't keep it in any longer.
I believe someone asked for a recce (sp) of the winter camp location? @Matt
Well I'm here until tomorrow lunch time so if you have questions just ask.
Good 4g reception on O2
A couple of cm of snow just now.
The trail paths are well used during the day by walkers, runners and cyclists.
The car park says 'no overnight parking ' I ignored it so we'll see what happens. The payment meter said 'not in use'. Whether that means faulty or not i don't know.

Oh my eggs broke in the side pouch of my rucksack so i have an eggy hat. Lol
20190118_164859.jpg

Attachments

• 20190118_164827.jpg
    20190118_164827.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 155
Ok I can't keep it in any longer.
I believe someone asked for a recce (sp) of the winter camp location? @Matt
Well I'm here until tomorrow lunch time so if you have questions just ask.
Good 4g reception on O2
A couple of cm of snow just now.
The trail paths are well used during the day by walkers, runners and cyclists.
The car park says 'no overnight parking ' I ignored it so we'll see what happens. The payment meter said 'not in use'. Whether that means faulty or not i don't know.

Oh my eggs broke in the side pouch of my rucksack so i have an eggy hat. Lol
View attachment 16025

i take it you parked in the bottom car park and wandered in ....is that track drive able ? is there access for vehicles ? ...

when i looked on google earth it looked to me the only drive able tracks were coming in from the top (ski center end )

That picture of the wood with the moon above looks good.....plenty of trees for hanging and a few clearings for tents.
What is the dead fall/standing situation like Paul....much about?

Tbh Bill I didnt see much but I got here much later than planned so was in a bit of a rush to get set up.
I'll have a proper look around tomorrow and photograph the area. From what Ive seen so far there have not been many flat areas for tents. Masses of 2foot high heather covered with snow.

Ok slept well until 4:30 when I had to pee. It was -6C at that point. Didnt get much sleep after that since I was cold. NEED A BETTER BAG.
Up at 8 and did 3km walking around taking pics and video to warm up.
Had breaky and starting to break camp now at 11:00
This place is like Sauchihall St.
Between 10:00 and 11:00 I've been passed by: 8 runners, 29 walkers and 9 dogs. Soooo busy!
In the area north of the inlet there are multiple 'No Fires' signs.
Maybe a rethink is in order?

Hi Paul.

Sorry to hear you had a cold night mate.
All the info you have fed back is very useful. ...thanks mate.
I know that @Matt has a back up plan which will no doubt be put in place before we leave.

Get ye sen hame fer a brew ye ken.

Look forward to the pics and seeing you soon mate.....not long now.

@G1ZmO

Have a look at the snugpak softie elite 5 mate it’s the one I’m going for. Tad expensive but after watch a good few reviews on them. Worth the money for me :D

Ok slept well until 4:30 when I had to pee. It was -6C at that point. Didnt get much sleep after that since I was cold. NEED A BETTER BAG.
Between 10:00 and 11:00 I've been passed by: 8 runners, 29 walkers and 9 dogs. Soooo busy!

the secret Paul is not to get up but instead pee into a a bottle with a tight seal then you have a ready made hot water bottle for your feet and yes it does work

Back