• Welcome to Life In The Wilderness

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Claim that Russia plot could cause thousands of UK deaths

lonewolf

Neo Luddite Prepared Survivalist.
yep wont even take a severe storm or a physical attack all that's needed is some computer geek pressing a few buttons.
I've always said once the power goes off that will be the end of it for most people, if someone is so used to flicking a switch for lights, heating, cooking, showers and has never lived without it how on earth are they going to know what to do?

greenbear

Extremely Addicted
It is certainly interesting that it is being voiced at ministerial level, normally government buries its head in the sand over such issues. It will be interesting to see what the rebuttal is (ie we're building x number of new power stations etc).

lonewolf

yeah a grand total of 2 new power plants, one at Hinckley and one in Cumbria. neither will be ready to produce any power until about 2026.
in the meantime the lights go off.

lonewolf

That one that has been top of my list for many years.

Simplestuff

Very Talkative
There was quite a good tv series on a situation like this, I can’t recall the name but the concept was all electrics went due to a massive emp. Most of civilisation failed, there were the odd settlements that managed to pull together and farm to survive but like in most shtf situations it’s the prepared or brutal people that will survive. So a lot of governments and police failed as they couldn’t communicate. That lead to warlords running small military’s and gathering guns. They then used force to take food from those growing it. The actual series was about getting the power back on but the concept was interesting

Ystranc

There was quite a good tv series on a situation like this, I can’t recall the name but the concept was all electrics went due to a massive emp. Most of civilisation failed, there were the odd settlements that managed to pull together and farm to survive but like in most shtf situations it’s the prepared or brutal people that will survive. So a lot of governments and police failed as they couldn’t communicate. That lead to warlords running small military’s and gathering guns. They then used force to take food from those growing it. The actual series was about getting the power back on but the concept was interesting
If you can remember the name of a couple of the actors you could look them up and it'd appear in their resume.

Cheapshots

Extremely Talkative
There's an American show called black out and I'm pretty sure the BBC ran a miniseries on the subject but I can't remember its name.

As for the Russians Putin is an opportunist, he's ruthless as hell but he's a rational actor and fucking with us isn't in his interests.

Simplestuff

Very Talkative
If you can remember the name of a couple of the actors you could look them up and it'd appear in their resume.
Unfortunately I don’t tend to remember stuff like that but I think it may have been called ‘Revolution’ or something similar

edd5322

Extremely Talkative
The day 911 happen the american government were going to release a study to congress on the effects a EMP(man made or otherwise) would have on the country.It was never released to congress but quietly went un noticed( on the internet and referenced in documentaries).In it the American general tasked with the Military side of things said the country would not survive and went on to outline reasons why, including a statement that he believed 3/4 of the general population would die with in first 6 months.

People forget how intrinsically linked everything is these days from food production to deliveries and stock rotation on our shelves(in supermarkets).Also even down to local sanitation and refuge collection.All of wich would grind to a halt with the power going off.

As people say our grid is flimsy at best and if there was a massive surge in the system im sure it would be along time before it was up and running again, bearing in mind we dont make our own parts to fix the grid and we only have a small amount on hand(like everything else).Think the parts we need are made in Korea!

Even our military have no protection against EMP as the cost to retro fit everything has been deemed to much compared to the threat for so many years and now people are starting to question that its to late to start ficxing .All they can do is when they build or buy something now ask for it to be emp proof if thats even possible

Ystranc

Unfortunately I don’t tend to remember stuff like that but I think it may have been called ‘Revolution’ or something similar
Was it on Chanel 4, there was a program called blackout....about the same production quality as the Blair witch project....it got crap reviews.

Bionic

Extremely Talkative
I think he’s right about it being Revolution. We watched it on Prime, the basic surmise was that nanotechnology had gone out of control with nanobots disrupting all any form of electricity. It was all rather far fetched but quite enjoyable in its own way :)

Ystranc

This one? I've no idea how I missed this, I'd never even heard of it.