• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Classic thoughts...

saxonaxe

Very Addicted
A parcel from abroad arrived yesterday. A particular version of a ' Classic' knife that I had been wanting to own for some time.

P1050551.jpg

A bit of a rarity for me as I don't collect knives just for the sake of collecting, it was purely curiosity on my part and most importantly it didn't break the bank.
A couple of things struck me about the knife, this is the Number 3, with 6 inch carbon blade and painted wooden handle. Ah! yes, the handle...
Without 'modification' bloody lethal! At least in my hands, which are fairly rough, not like a Brickie's or full time manual worker admittedly but not baby soft either. Just out of curiosity I wet my hand under the cold tap and the painted wooden handle became so slippery as to be dangerous on a knife with nothing to prevent one's hand sliding forward onto the blade. The blade itself where it enters the bolster, is about 5 mm wider than the bolster, so the cutting edge is entirely exposed to fingers sliding forward off the handle.

This is not a criticism of the knife, it's purely practical thoughts that struck me as a first time owner. I know it's in the style of many Scandinavian knives, Puukkos etc: all without finger guards. How they get on with cold, wet hands I often wonder, yet they all seem to still have index fingers ...:lol:.
The answer of course for me at least, if I was use this as a working knife would be to rough up the painted wooden handle, cut groves in it perhaps? The knife itself while obviously mass produced is well made. The knife sits deep in the sheath which is plastic and a good fit....
Gripping the exposed top 2 inches of the slippery handle and drawing the knife must be an acquired two handed skill...:lol:

All in all, a real bargain. Well made, razor sharp and nice to see/own a traditional tool.

Now, sandpaper, cut grooves or leather binding perhaps?....:rofl:

Yes indeed Willie, I actually have that tape on the handle of a Cold Steel Hawk that I have used for quite afew years.

DSCF4765.jpg

Not very Bushcrafty I know, but ultra safe, which is my main concern.

I suspect when the Mora with the painted handle is used in earnest and gets a few dings and scrapes and the 'newness' wears off the handle, they are fine. It's just that new out of the box... I thought Blimey!! wouldn't fancy using that in the woods when my hands were cold or wet.

Attachments

• DSCF4765.jpg
    DSCF4765.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 19
Back