• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register
Cleaning A Black Powder Pistol

Guide Cleaning A Black Powder Pistol

airgunnut

Very Addicted
airgunnut submitted a new resource:

Cleaning A Black Powder Pistol - Guide On Cleaning A Black Powder Pistol

With my euro arms Roger & Spencer I fill the sink with very hot water with a good glug of washing up liquid, at this point I close the kitchen door and turn on the extractor fan to full and don a pair of marigolds (allows me to tolerate the hot water longer and the fan helps get rid of the surfer smell conected with cleaning BP guns)

My Method:

• Take off the wood grips
  • Cock the pistol to 1/2 cock to allow the cylinder to rotate
  • 1/2 Turn on the screw holding the...

Read more about this resource...

I once seen a program that said that a real gunfight was filmed in a saloon during the very early days of film, the gun slingers were about 10 foot apart, 12 shots were fired, 3 were found in the floor between the men, 2 were found in the roof, 5 in the walls behind the men, 2 bullets were never found and both men walked away unharmed!
The presenter said that that film busted the idea of gunslingers hitting some one 100m away like they do in modern films.the presenter said the reason why they were such bad shots was due to the cost of ammo, they could not afford to practice.
A good read Is, Hell I Was There by Elmer Keith I got a ebook copy (was looking to buy the book, I clicked on a web page thinking it would take me to the shop page but it started downloading the ebook for free)

The phrase "fog of war" dates back to the napolionic era with formations of muzzle loaders going off at the same time creating a real smoke screen

Back