• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Cleaning a tarnished knife

MattW

Slightly Talkative
I've got a Morakniv Bushcraft and during one trip I accidentally dropped it while cooking and it landed on the edge of the fire.

Over time, the area that was in the fire has become more tarnished. So, what advice do people have for how to clean up a tarnished blade, and the best products to do it?

I've attached some images to this so you can see how it's tarnished (lighting isn't great though)

Thanks.

Attachments

• 23659789_1991643851079514_2138141752_o.jpg
    23659789_1991643851079514_2138141752_o.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 285
  • 23660103_1991643854412847_1132744972_o.jpg
    23660103_1991643854412847_1132744972_o.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 222
  • 23633239_1991643881079511_973198447_o.jpg
    23633239_1991643881079511_973198447_o.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 337
I've got a Morakniv Bushcraft and during one trip I accidentally dropped it while cooking and it landed on the edge of the fire.

Over time, the area that was in the fire has become more tarnished. So, what advice do people have for how to clean up a tarnished blade, and the best products to do it?

I've attached some images to this so you can see how it's tarnished (lighting isn't great though)

Thanks.
Hi Matt the person you really need to speak to is Lee, for me my dremel and a bit of polishing compound is how I would go. I imagine it wouldn't have been in the fire for more than a couple of seconds so I wouldn't think that there has been any structural damage to the blade

Last edited:
Yeah, it was probably only in the fire for about 3 seconds while I got a stick to pull it back.

What polishing compound do you use? A quick search of Google gives quite a range at varying prices, but most user reviews seem to be all over the place even on the same product.

Yeah, it was probably only in the fire for about 3 seconds while I got a stick to pull it back.

What polishing compound do you use? A quick search of Google gives quite a range at varying prices, but most user reviews seem to be all over the place even on the same product.
I use green blue and white but for the sort of polish you wan't I'd go for the blue but please don't ask me why. you are always going to get differing reviews on any product, if in doubt go for a mid range. The other alternative is brasso and a bit of wire wool

Try salvo autosol for a tarnished blade cleans it off a treat and costs half the price of knife cleaning compound I use it on all my blades esp the carbon steel ones and for oil to clean the blade don't use mineral oil use clove oil it holds better on the blade and gives a nice sheen

So, got myself some Autosol and used it on my knife and got a good result. Most of the tarnishing has come away with ease, but there's some that's a little more deep-seated. I'll try a few more coats with a regular cloth and see what happens, otherwise I'll give it a go with a bit of wire wool.

Thanks for the advice guys.

So, got myself some Autosol and used it on my knife and got a good result. Most of the tarnishing has come away with ease, but there's some that's a little more deep-seated. I'll try a few more coats with a regular cloth and see what happens, otherwise I'll give it a go with a bit of wire wool.

Thanks for the advice guys.
I might sound like a strange thing to do Matt but give the blade a little scrape up near the handle, I'm wondering if the blade was given some sort of preservative

Hi, Matt.

Just a thought for you.

Pour some of the Autosol onto a good sized piece of cardboard (Cereal box) ?
Drag the knife along it under pressure......it will polish rather than scratch your blade.
Works a treat......used to polish our belt and webbing brasses the same way.......worth a try.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
First try just rubbing the blade on a leather strop, then autosol Polish and finally it will be compounds and buffer if nothing else works

The guy made a good point about storing knives in damp sheaths Mark.
Blades consequently suffering damage.
Have done that myself......got back from a trip eager to get a shower and stow the kit away without thinking.
Easy done.:)

The guy made a good point about storing knives in damp sheaths Mark.
Blades consequently suffering damage.
Have done that myself......got back from a trip eager to get a shower and stow the kit away without thinking.
Easy done.:)
That's one reason I like my hultafors carbon Bill, the blade is very good but if I ruin it I can always get another for just a few quid

Back