• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Cleaning a tarnished knife

Yeah, that's a nice video. Not yet added a nagura stone to my kit, but I've been meaning to.

Reading the original post because a guest had been viewing it; That didn't look like tarnish...more like discolouration caused by the uneven heat of the fire annealing the steel and effecting the temper of the blade.

Hi, Matt.

Just a thought for you.

Pour some of the Autosol onto a good sized piece of cardboard (Cereal box) ?
Drag the knife along it under pressure......it will polish rather than scratch your blade.
Works a treat......used to polish our belt and webbing brasses the same way.......worth a try.:thumbsup:
Cardboard and Brasso to polish yer brasses - You’ve just given me flashback 😳 1Shot!
Please - no one bring up boot bulling methods. 😩

Brasso and Blanco...:lol:

30 minutes before we were due on parade for a pre inspection..inspection, the first by a Lieutenant who rejoiced in the name of Sludge and the second by some Big Wig and Hangers on. We were confined to the Galley area and spent the last few minutes checking each other over for any faults in our rig turn outs.
There was a bloke called John Demery, JD to us, who spent most of his time as a Defaulter, polishing brass, cleaning woodwork with sand and canvas or other odd jobs while the rest of us were on shore leave ( We were all boy Seaman under training, so shore leave was spent down at the local coffee bar chasing College Girls..:lol: )

JD had been fiddling with his boot laces and then touched his white cotton Lanyard...:eek: Rule one..once lanyard is under your collars on around your neck and properly adjusted... do not touch it !!!
Result..white Lanyard with black mark on Lanyard knot = JD at panic stations.

No hope of getting a spare Lanyard from his locker but by chance someone had some white Blanco handy, we were parading in white belts and gaiters, so a small amount of water and Blanco were mixed to a paste and JD's Lanyard soaked in the mixture and then hung above the heat of the Galley stove.
The Lanyard was 99% dry when we fell in on the parade ground and Sludge inspected us..As always he dished out the completely unnecessary boll..advice to blokes who were in fact immaculate, and we dressed off ready for the arrival of the Big Wigs.

A gentle misty rain began to fall.

JD's Division was formed up at right angles to mine, so without turning my head I could see him in the front rank, I could also see a quite intriguing white pattern, like a small descending white curtain, running down the front of his blue uniform as the freshly Blancoed Lanyard soaked up the rain. I risked just moving my eyes to look at Sludge who stood facing JD's Division..He was Plum, perhaps Damson colour and trembling...:lol:

If the inspecting Brass spotted the Rating wearing a uniform with white stripes running down the front, they never commented. The First Lieutenant and Commanding Officer, a war time Destroyer U Boat Hunter, did not miss it I do know as JD became permanent Duty Man at weekends there after...:rofl:

Brasso and Blanco...:lol:

30 minutes before we were due on parade for a pre inspection..inspection, the first by a Lieutenant who rejoiced in the name of Sludge and the second by some Big Wig and Hangers on. We were confined to the Galley area and spent the last few minutes checking each other over for any faults in our rig turn outs.
There was a bloke called John Demery, JD to us, who spent most of his time as a Defaulter, polishing brass, cleaning woodwork with sand and canvas or other odd jobs while the rest of us were on shore leave ( We were all boy Seaman under training, so shore leave was spent down at the local coffee bar chasing College Girls..:lol: )

JD had been fiddling with his boot laces and then touched his white cotton Lanyard...:eek: Rule one..once lanyard is under your collars on around your neck and properly adjusted... do not touch it !!!
Result..white Lanyard with black mark on Lanyard knot = JD at panic stations.

No hope of getting a spare Lanyard from his locker but by chance someone had some white Blanco handy, we were parading in white belts and gaiters, so a small amount of water and Blanco were mixed to a paste and JD's Lanyard soaked in the mixture and then hung above the heat of the Galley stove.
The Lanyard was 99% dry when we fell in on the parade ground and Sludge inspected us..As always he dished out the completely unnecessary boll..advice to blokes who were in fact immaculate, and we dressed off ready for the arrival of the Big Wigs.

A gentle misty rain began to fall.

JD's Division was formed up at right angles to mine, so without turning my head I could see him in the front rank, I could also see a quite intriguing white pattern, like a small descending white curtain, running down the front of his blue uniform as the freshly Blancoed Lanyard soaked up the rain. I risked just moving my eyes to look at Sludge who stood facing JD's Division..He was Plum, perhaps Damson colour and trembling...:lol:

If the inspecting Brass spotted the Rating wearing a uniform with white stripes running down the front, they never commented. The First Lieutenant and Commanding Officer, a war time Destroyer U Boat Hunter, did not miss it I do know as JD became permanent Duty Man at weekends there after...:rofl:
🤣🤣 it’s nice to hear that similar things happened to matelots!
A pal of mine once added a coat of varnish to what were already highly polished (bulled) boots.
Princess Margaret was the ‘inspecting’ officer that summer. That HOT summer!
The yellow hew that developed on his toe caps as we were kept waiting and the varnish warmed up had us all suppressing laughter like that centurion in Life of Brian. And he didn’t get away with it. The b@tch stopped just long enough in front of him for the RSM et al to see it!!

Last edited:
Back