• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

cleaning rust from an old pocket knife by electrolysis

Ystranc

Administrator
Staff member
I'm currently ( :rolleyes: excuse the pun) using an electrical current and a solution of washing soda to remove rust from a pocket knife that I bought on Monday. It was rusted solid, hopefully Ill be able to open it and clean it properly tomorrow.
The process is simple. The anode is a piece of scrap steel connected to the positive terminal of a car battery or charger. the cathode is the pocket knife connected to the negative terminal and the washing soda is the electrolyte. anode and cathode are submerged so that they're close but not touching the battery is connected and electrolysis does the rest.
IMG_3722.JPG

Last edited:
So am I. Earlier today I took it out to clean a small area to improve the contact from the crocodile clip. It seems to be having an effect, I can open the knife without pliers now.

A quick wire wool with 0000 fine grade, a sharpen and an oil up with 3 in 1 oil and it looks like a serviceable pocket knife again, it's a bit pitted but I can read the marks on the can opener and the blade is strait and sharp.
A British Army 2 part pocket knife made by Sheffield steel products in 1943. 🙂
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

You have to bear in mind that it looked more like a potato than a pocket knife before it went into the washing soda. It's actually in great shape for an 78 year old army knife, the springs are nice and snappy and its absolutely useable.....just not pretty.
I don't necessarily go for the over restored look anyway. I will keep this one for a while and give it a little bit of polish as I use it.

You have to bear in mind that it looked more like a potato than a pocket knife before it went into the washing soda. It's actually in great shape for an 78 year old army knife, the springs are nice and snappy and its absolutely useable.....just not pretty.
I don't necessarily go for the over restored look anyway. I will keep this one for a while and give it a little bit of polish as I use it.

It’s got character Mike and your right it looks good for 78 years old

Given that they used pretty much the same design for the next 60 years they must have got something right.

Back