• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Cleaning the barrel of my HW 97 k

Harvey astell

Extremely Talkative
I used to clean barrel every 500 pellets, but then I couldn’t group for the life of me, it took about 25/35 pellets to start grouping again, so in the end I stopped cleaning ,I could see when I needed to clean.
Is this the same for pistols?

Yup, takes a couple of dozen pellets to lead in a barrel. After that, the following pellet scours the barrel, so no need for cleaning, unless it's a powder-burner.

Every time you try a new pellet, same applies -- put 20-30 pellets downrange before trying for groups.

Barrel cleaning.
With mine plinking, when the accuracy seems hit and miss I pull through.
The reason is, inside the loading port mostly on a new gun they need cleaning occasionally, actually rusty in there. Sometimes lifting the under lever up after loading it sounds all of a sudden nasty and gritty. Paper hanky or yellow duster clean the loading port all out. Don't chop a finger off. I've had so many V-Mach kits, Ray uses his own V-Mach greese so the little pot supplied in the kit is unused. This greese is like no other, it's so smooth and slippery.
Being very sparing, finger tip the lube on your bottom slidy bit of the port. TX or 77/97 just as bad. From new over the first few weeks you might need to do this, several times. Your barrel with all that compressed oily smoke or oily pellet fingers residue is going to make your barrel oily. Spoiling your accuracy. It's no good pulling through dry, the cloth probably even won't look too dirty, you'll think my barrels fine, pull through with an oily wad and you are making it worse, even though the cotton pull through might look dark and oily.
WD40 squirt on the cotton strip then pull through and the cotton strip is horrible, like after a Curry. Even rusty, residue and oil either evaporates or cleaned out.
then dry pull through no oil. The greese in my port bottom and the mechanism itself makes my barrel dirty. Certainly after you've pulled through it will shoot more lovely and accurately. Never use a paper hanky pull through wad it will tear through and fall off in your barrel or an over tight cotton wad, the the fishing lune will break. The guns cocked you can't let the spring pressure off, dont fire a pellet hoping to push it all through. You are properly fecked, shoot yourself, end your misery. Don't ask me how to make a pull through I dont have the brain power to explain.
Thin tube fishing line you work it out.
Of course if are a terrible shot like some old people you wouldn't notice a dirty barrel. Manthing or the Pilot.

Last edited:
Strewth!!
Sticks and stones..
You'll pull through sooner or later, when you start doing it right, thinking it through then you'll pull through.
You probably think too that there is no difference in flavour between a jar of Bovril and a jar of Marmite simply because the jars look exactly the same. Without using there eyes to read the instructions properly or taste buds.

That comment is beneath contempt.
I'm not making any sarcastic remarks I really don't need to.

vicnbob.jpg

Billywham.
You live in your own little world. That's fine if your happy there, but you have to admit, you do spew some absolute bollix on here. You wouldn't last 10 mins on most forums conducting yourself like you do on here, and you know it.
So please stop with the "woe is me" fakery. If you'd like to contribute please do so, but try and keep in on point matey. 👍

As already advised, give it 20-30 of each pellet before shooting for groups. Once you have found the correct pellet for your barrel I would suggest you pull the barrel through and re-lead with the your preferred pellet, and not pull through again until your groups open up.

I've got a couple of rifles that could do with a pull through, what with all the different lead I've been putting through them recently. I know it's each to their own when it comes to cleaning our rifles/pistols, but I use the Napier spray that comes in the Napier pull through kit. Had it for over 8 years now and the tin is still half full, or half empty, depending on your outlook on things. When it runs out I have Ballistol gun oil in a spray bottle that I use to impregnate a cotton cloth I keep in a sarnie bag with each rifle. So other than buying pull though patches, which I've just done, I reckon I'm sorted until I kick the bucket. ;)

Back