• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Closed shop Rip off

38thfoot

Very Addicted
A week or so ago some scrotes broke into my garage whilst we were away, they must have been disturbed as nothing was taken but to gain access they ripped the strip of metal that overlaps the join of the two doors and keeps the weather out.
Coincidentally the doors are made just up the road so I enquired about a replacement part to be told that they can’t supply it as it’s a fitted to the door at the factory and I’ll need a complete new set of doors at around £2500. This is despite the fact that the strip of metal was clearly riveted on as that’s how it was ripped off.

£35 worth of aluminium T section off the internet; a can of ali primer and some hammertite plus some self tapping screws and my doors are good as new for about £50 plus some swearing!

The door company were pretty insistent that I needed to claim on my insurance for new doors as they would be quids in whereas I’d have to pay an excess plus see my insurance go up in price.

To say I’m feeling smugly satisfied is an understatement although I now need to jet wash my patio as there is some pain overspray!

Barstureds!! You’ll be glad they didn’t pinch anything 38 …. Are you thinking on getting cctv ? I would

Maybe send some pictures over to the company and share your smugness along with the suggestion of showing to the next customer 😂 bloody £2500 cheeky gits almost as bad as the wee sheets that ripped the plate off

Looking at getting CCTV but think they must have been disturbed as there were loads of bikes and golf clubs. They may have struggles to get the bikes out as my wife’s car was stopping the door fully opening.

Made my feelings clear to the door company when they messaged me back to see if I wanted to arrange a fitting!

What a pain.......did you notify the police?

Sounds like an open and shut case 😉

Good effort on the fix.

A week or so ago some scrotes broke into my garage whilst we were away, they must have been disturbed as nothing was taken but to gain access they ripped the strip of metal that overlaps the join of the two doors and keeps the weather out.
Coincidentally the doors are made just up the road so I enquired about a replacement part to be told that they can’t supply it as it’s a fitted to the door at the factory and I’ll need a complete new set of doors at around £2500. This is despite the fact that the strip of metal was clearly riveted on as that’s how it was ripped off.

£35 worth of aluminium T section off the internet; a can of ali primer and some hammertite plus some self tapping screws and my doors are good as new for about £50 plus some swearing!

The door company were pretty insistent that I needed to claim on my insurance for new doors as they would be quids in whereas I’d have to pay an excess plus see my insurance go up in price.

To say I’m feeling smugly satisfied is an understatement although I now need to jet wash my patio as there is some pain overspray!

Just one tiny bit of advice, fill the screw heads with some quick dry epoxy resin or I guarantee they'll be in there again. That way it means that you will have to clear the heads if ever you want to remove the strip but a couple of minutes with a piece of hacksaw blade will sort that out

Damned annoying but all good in the end because you have the know-how to make your door secure again. Other people are ripped off like this every day and we all end up paying a little extra on home insurance. Good advice about the screw heads Joe Cole! Another trick is to use extra long nails/screws and bend the protruding end/thread over on the inside.

The ways it’s fitted there are no external fixings with everything drilled and fitted on the “stalk” of the T section which sits in the gap between the two doors when closed.

As an added security feature I also stripped the heads of a couple of them which won’t help if I ever need to take it off!

The ways it’s fitted there are no external fixings with everything drilled and fitted on the “stalk” of the T section which sits in the gap between the two doors when closed.

As an added security feature I also stripped the heads of a couple of them which won’t help if I ever need to take it off!

In the unlikely event that you do have to remove it just drill the screw heads out

Back