• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Compasses - Advice needed

G1ZmO

Site Manager
Staff member
Hi Folks,

One plan of mine for this year was to learn a bit of navigation with a map and compass, pace counting and all that kerfuffle.
Started to look at compasses to replace the one I have currently which has no rotating dial (and the legend is almost worn away.
Considering the Suunto MC-2 but they're pretty expensive (so I better make myself learn it if I buy one)
They also seem to come in different models Q/D/cm/in/Nh, 360/D/L/Cm/Nh, G/6400, 360/G/D/L, 1:24000 or 1:25000 scale etc

Can anyone knowledgeable in these things advise what I should go for? As I don't want to get the wrong one.

Cheers

I use a Silva compass and map as my sole means of land navigation, Paul. I think mine is an early Ranger model. They still make the Ranger but it's got a fancy scale lanyard attached and a magnifier built in now. I like the mirror feature which is handy for self first aid if nothing else. The sight line is luminous and shows up well in the dark if you need to take a bearing. I've used it for years and it's still a good accurate Compass.
DSC00295.JPG

DSC00296.JPG

DSC00297.JPG

Hi Folks,

One plan of mine for this year was to learn a bit of navigation with a map and compass, pace counting and all that kerfuffle.
Started to look at compasses to replace the one I have currently which has no rotating dial (and the legend is almost worn away.
Considering the Suunto MC-2 but they're pretty expensive (so I better make myself learn it if I buy one)
They also seem to come in different models Q/D/cm/in/Nh, 360/D/L/Cm/Nh, G/6400, 360/G/D/L, 1:24000 or 1:25000 scale etc

Can anyone knowledgeable in these things advise what I should go for? As I don't want to get the wrong one.

Cheers
I agree with Rob, Silva is the way to go

Hi Folks,

Cheers

get yourself a copy of Eric Langmuir “mountain craft and leadership “ too ... great info on navigation or check out local navigation courses ( when allowed to play out again ) usually pretty reasonably priced and taught by some grizzled old mountain goat 👍

@saxonaxe that's pretty much the other option I was looking at here but a few comments said that it doesn't have declination adjustment but as we're not far off 0 deg in the UK does this really matter much?

If I say " It doesn't really matter in practice".. I would be incorrect and Navigation Instructors would slay me.
If I walk a straight course over 60 miles and my compass is out by 1 degree, at the finish point I'll be a mile from where I thought I would be...that is after 60 miles.

If you are using map and compass and the declination or magnetic variation as always is shown on the map, I don't really believe an error as you would find in mainland UK is worth worrying about..AS LONG as you check what it is on the map for the area you are walking in and keep it in mind when deciding on your routes..especially in potential danger areas.

I remember reading on this subject not long ago, so I cheated a bit and copied this opinion of a Scottish Mountain Team Leader when asked the same question.

" So back to the question: does it matter?
Each tiny black line on the compass housing represents two degrees, so it is impossible to differentiate the tiny adjustments required for 100% accuracy.
And when you then factor in the human element of walking on the bearing, this degree of accuracy is, to be honest, probably irrelevant.
That said, in full-on winter white-out conditions near corniced edges I am adding on my two degrees. "

Thanks @saxonaxe that sounds like sound advice. i don't expect to be navigating 60 miles anytime soon so, by the time I'm capable of that I should be be very aware of the margin of error between mag north and the map.

Exactly Paul, on a sunny day in easy country or in thick mist on Fell side, as long as you are aware of local compass error and make allowances if required, then you will be just as safe as someone who thinks they can walk any distance safely just because they've dialled in the error on their compass and that it will magically iron out any other inaccuracy factors.

@saxonaxe that's pretty much the other option I was looking at here but a few comments said that it doesn't have declination adjustment but as we're not far off 0 deg in the UK does this really matter much?
I wouldn't worry about declination over the sort of distancing you'll be doing Paul, my theory is that if track X is heading plus or minus 5 degrees in my direction of travel then it's accurate enough

One of mine lives on a cord around my neck and the spare is secured to the shoulder strap of my pack and tucked into a fabric sleeve to stop it swinging around or getting caught on things. Both are very basic Silva compasses. When walking in my landscape there are so many topographical features that it is easy to check your position regularly and "reset" any errors from trying to walk a strait line or follow a compass bearing. Obviously when you're in a landscape that has shifting features or no features (I include fog or snow here) at all it becomes much more critical.

Not used a map and compass in years.....but have many happy memories of Orienteering years ago in Germany.....using the Silva.....cant remember the model now.

@G1ZmO

This may be a bit of fun for you and the family Paul.......not sure if it appeals.....but link anyway :thumbsup:
Would hone your navigational skills.
There might be some Orienteering clubs nearby too......good fun.

Not used a map and compass in years.....but have many happy memories of Orienteering years ago in Germany.....using the Silva.....cant remember the model now.

@G1ZmO

This may be a bit of fun for you and the family Paul.......not sure if it appeals.....but link anyway :thumbsup:
Would hone your navigational skills.
There might be some Orienteering clubs nearby too......good fun.

Sounds like Geocaching 😁

There is another thing like that but less of a sport and that is navigating using springs or water sources as waypoints. We have a lot of springs and ancient wells up here in the Welsh hills. The prize for finding your destination is having a brew before moving on.

There is another thing like that but less of a sport and that is navigating using springs or water sources as waypoints. We have a lot of springs and ancient wells up here in the Welsh hills.
A good part of navigation Mike is also knowing from which direction your prominent weather comes from, and example of this is that our weather predominantly come out of the south west so on places like Dartmoor, Bodmin and the more bleak areas the trees will mainly lean North North East So in reality it is possible to navigate in those areas without a compass

A good part of navigation Mike is also knowing from which direction your prominent weather comes from, and example of this is that our weather predominantly come out of the south west so on places like Dartmoor, Bodmin and the more bleak areas the trees will mainly lean North North East So in reality it is possible to navigate in those areas without a compass
That's not for me Joe, I won't even step outside without a full risk assessment. There is no way I'd go anywhere unfamiliar without map, compass, whistle, FAK fire lighting kit, spare glasses and orange bivvi bag. I'm relatively new to GPS and smart phones having resisted owning one for a long time but these days I carry one with the "what three words" app loaded

Back