• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Compasses

Joecole

Very Obsessed
Most of us have one, most of us probably will never need to use one but how many of you are just like me and have far to many?

IMG_20160613_092115.jpg

I have a electronic compass but I can't get on with it im thinking of selling it and buying a sighting compass I know where I stand with one of those has altimeter and a barometer but its not for me waaay too modern

I've got loads of compasses from button ones up to quite heavy ones. i'd better not buy any more!!

Nice collection ;) I have a few button ones and a couple of silva one a map compas the other a folding survival one with mirror. Oh and a little glow in the dark one on my pfd ;)

Nice collection ;) I have a few button ones and a couple of silva one a map compas the other a folding survival one with mirror. Oh and a little glow in the dark one on my pfd ;)
All have their place but for accuracy it has always got to be the azimuth compass.

Your right best I've got is silva I've had a few bottom compasses reverse their polarity I really don't trust them but as long as I can see the sun or moon I can check them and they are better than nothing.

Your right best I've got is silva I've had a few bottom compasses reverse their polarity I really don't trust them but as long as I can see the sun or moon I can check them and they are better than nothing.
In truth Lee in this country just as long as you know how to read a map and can orientate the map to a landmark you should never need a compass. In the Yorkshire dales and north Yorks moors navigating long distances I'd use one but even then it wasn't a necessity

It's true only time I've used on really in in deep woods forest when I can't see the sun or I'm tracking Long distance

Back