• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Conditions

1 shot willie

Very Obsessed
Had a quick look at the Sea a couple of days ago.....looking a lot clearer now.....until the next downpour and all the crap comes down the estuary again :rofl:
Need to try out this fly rod on the Flounder and Mackerel:thumbsup:
Strange, not many guys fishing off of the beaches yet.........normally see a few by now spinning or plugging for the Bass.

Has anyone been out.....or planning a fishing trip?

I like to go up to Penmon point near Beumaris usually end of this month, beginning of next. There is a narrow stoney beach which is usually good for mackerel if you catch it right. I favour a set of silver feathers and a cheap silver bass spinning lure. There is a car park near the old coastguard building where you can get away with parking overnight and a bar-b-que.

Hi Ystranc.

Sounds like an ideal spot mate.
Same as you I like to use the silver fathers they work very well.
I tend to use only 3 feathers and tie on a Dexter wedge as the weight to cast.
Feathers for the Mackerel and the wedge for a possible Bass.

One of our local beaches at Budleigh Salterton is a good Bass beach.........can get very busy once people start seeing the Mackerel coming in.

Cant beat a bit of fresh Mackerel mate.

Agreed, out of the sea, guts out, head off and strait on the BBQ.....the dogs are very happy to eat the heads. I used to take a chill box for my catch but the mackerel are getting fewer and further between.

I like to go up to Penmon point near Beumaris usually end of this month, beginning of next. There is a narrow stoney beach which is usually good for mackerel if you catch it right. I favour a set of silver feathers and a cheap silver bass spinning lure. There is a car park near the old coastguard building where you can get away with parking overnight and a bar-b-que.
Anglesey !!!!love it, one of my favourite places in UK. Fished a lot at Treaddur Bay, but Ravenspoint head is superb.

Had a quick look at the Sea a couple of days ago.....looking a lot clearer now.....until the next downpour and all the crap comes down the estuary again :rofl:
Need to try out this fly rod on the Flounder and Mackerel:thumbsup:
Strange, not many guys fishing off of the beaches yet.........normally see a few by now spinning or plugging for the Bass.

Has anyone been out.....or planning a fishing trip?
Soon as Mate---only freshwater though. Taking Wifey to a good selection of Ponds. The nearest port for Sea Fishing trips is Bridlington & then Scarborough, but to be honest it's expensive just to catch a few little Codling.

Here in Whitby the end of the pier is the best spot , I use feathers as well . It can be busy with tourists and groups of polish fishermen ( stocking up ) but when the mackerel are running tis good sport . They tend to be more prevalent later in the summer here ( July /August ) but now you've mentioned it I'm gonna have a walk down the pier later to see what's going on ;)

pier.png pier 2.png Pier 3.png Pier 4.jpg

Soon as Mate---only freshwater though. Taking Wifey to a good selection of Ponds. The nearest port for Sea Fishing trips is Bridlington & then Scarborough, but to be honest it's expensive just to catch a few little Codling.

Four hour Mackerel trips in Whitby for £15 including tackle..........................

That's pretty good Rob, that's later in season like you say. Bit early for Mackerel in North Sea, but you never know.

I was just looking at some updates from the past few weeks and the charter boats have been catching mackerel in small numbers , the boat skippers are suggesting it wont be long before it picks up , so maybe earlier this year .

I was just looking at some updates from the past few weeks and the charter boats have been catching mackerel in small numbers , the boat skippers are suggesting it wont be long before it picks up , so maybe earlier this year .
Excellent news Rob, I'll check down Brid way see if they've had a few. Definitely one of the best tasting Fish (when fresh) you can catch. Down Hornsea way you can catch them off the Breakwater at Mappleton, great Bass beach too. PS- Mackerel does really well for Pike in Hornsea Mere.

Excellent news Rob, I'll check down Brid way see if they've had a few. Definitely one of the best tasting Fish (when fresh) you can catch. Down Hornsea way you can catch them off the Breakwater at Mappleton, great Bass beach too. PS- Mackerel does really well for Pike in Hornsea Mere.

Hornsea mere is on my list ..........

Hornsea mere is on my list ..........
I lived there for nearly 20 years and fished it a lot. It has great potential, but limited bank fishing. You really need to hire a rowing boat. There are some Big Carp in the water with high 30's caught in the past. Pike run to 30+ with a lot of mid range 10-15lb. I've caught them on everything from Live bait to Smelt, but Mackerel out fishes them all. It is shallow with the deepest part to the Left of the island--this goes to about 10-11ft. The rest of it 4-6ft average and very weedy. It has a reputation for being hard to fish, this is because it is stuffed with food, and unlike a lot of waters the Fish can be picky. For it's size it is very lightly fished and one of those waters where you just might have the potential to catch something epic!.
Tactics----Spinning---this works everywhere on the Mere, and if the Wind is right you can set up a "Drift" that will take you along the drop off to the left of the Island. There are some really good Perch in the Mere and they will take all types of Spinner-plug etc--(shallow diving types)--Mepps are king though.

Deadbaiting--A good hot spot is to head to the far end of the Mere (a Good Row) and anchor up in the Reed beds just on the "No entry" signs to the sanctuary end. You need to use "pop up" deadbaits and cast towards the centre of the Sanctuary. A lot of Waterfowl around this area and they attract a lot of Food Fish for the Pike.

I lived there for nearly 20 years and fished it a lot. It has great potential, but limited bank fishing. You really need to hire a rowing boat. There are some Big Carp in the water with high 30's caught in the past. Pike run to 30+ with a lot of mid range 10-15lb. I've caught them on everything from Live bait to Smelt, but Mackerel out fishes them all. It is shallow with the deepest part to the Left of the island--this goes to about 10-11ft. The rest of it 4-6ft average and very weedy. It has a reputation for being hard to fish, this is because it is stuffed with food, and unlike a lot of waters the Fish can be picky. For it's size it is very lightly fished and one of those waters where you just might have the potential to catch something epic!.
Tactics----Spinning---this works everywhere on the Mere, and if the Wind is right you can set up a "Drift" that will take you along the drop off to the left of the Island. There are some really good Perch in the Mere and they will take all types of Spinner-plug etc--(shallow diving types)--Mepps are king though.

Deadbaiting--A good hot spot is to head to the far end of the Mere (a Good Row) and anchor up in the Reed beds just on the "No entry" signs to the sanctuary end. You need to use "pop up" deadbaits and cast towards the centre of the Sanctuary. A lot of Waterfowl around this area and they attract a lot of Food Fish for the Pike.

Great advice mate, thanks .

Great advice mate, thanks .
No worries mate, if you need any more info just ask. It's got great potential for Fly I reckon, although you might need a semi sinking, and adjust drop. I have never caught any Pike/Perch on the Mere using a "popper" or any top lure, don't know why? A Fly might be different though with so many more patterns to choose from. These Pike aren't your Fat pond Fish, you catch a 10lb plus one in Summer and they go mental, Tail walking everywhere. They tend to look Long and Lean.

@divebuddy

Looks like you had a productive dive Dick :thumbsup:
Crab and Scallops look a good size.
Glad the vis was good for you hopefully have more good dives this year.

Back