• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

cooking pots?

Matt

Site Owner
Staff member
OK guys when your out do you use billy tins/mess tins?? or crusader cup? what works best for you?

Use my SS crusader cup to boil water for a cuppa and mess tins for food works well for me. But have been thinking on a small billy tin as sometimes easier to hang it over the fire.

I use billys and dutch ovens, plus other cast iron stuff if i'm car camping.

Billys are so much more versatile that mess tins and crusaders.

Saying that, if i'm out hiking i'll take a crusader and hexi stove along with some rat pack food. Nice and easy then to boil the food and use the same water for a brew. Saves time and space. :)

on a day out I take an msr titan kettle,if I'm out for a weekend or more I take the titan kettle,a trangia large kettle and a 16cm zebra billy.

did use a really cheap crappy miz between mess tin and billy. just recently got a proper billy though and i love it

I use my Trangia mini for cooking and water when out and about. If on a longer stay I've take my Zebra for hanging over the fire.
I also like my Campingaz trekking kit too.
Looking at a Gillie Kettle for the canoe though.

When I first got back into camping I got out my gucci gear catalogue and ordered myself a shiny new Trangia 27 - 2, which was grand for campsite cooking.

Although I have always been a walker, I'd never really been that bothered about having a hot brew when just walking, until I got back into camping. The Trangia was a bit elaborate for just boiling brew water, so I got myself a hexi stove and a solo cook pot big enough to fit it in (plus solid fuel, the Trangia burner and my brew kit) But if I'm honest, I did not use it that often as it was fairly bulky and I kept forgetting to pack it in my day sack.

Campsite camping grew into sneaky wild camping and the need to have two saucepans, a frying pan and a kettle to cook with, regardless of how little space the took up when nested together, began to lessen. So I got myself a SM Trangia, which is lower spec/tech than the 27, about the same weight (perhaps a little heavier) and about the same size, if not bigger then the 27. The reason I use the SM and not the 27 on my sneaky camps now is I don't faff about as much when cooking, mainly because got into wayfarer foods and latterly ration packs and the SM is ideal for heating them up.

I've got myself a Crusader Cup for day hike brews and I use it in conjunction with either a standard hexi stove, a modified hexi that acts a stand/shied for a Trangia burner or the Crusader Cook Unit (which I am not convinced by); as it pack up fairly small and light, is grand for a brew or cup a soup and is big enough to fit a hexi and you brew gear in, but not so big it will all be rattling around as you wander.

Back