• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Cool Boxes.

I bought one of those mini fridges for the shack which work on the same principles and it was not good at all.

I think you'd be better off with something like a larger Coleman cold box, put in four two litre pop bottles of frozen water and put all your contents in ready chilled.

Over the weekend I've had a play with a product called an IndelB TB18 refrigerator, it has an 18 litre capacity and will run off 230ac or 12dc.
It is run off a high quality Danfoss condenser so it's quiet and is fully adjustable for temperature.
Ideal for car camping or fishing trips.
It's a proper fridge but it's only the size of a large cool box.

Last edited:
I did a clearance some time ago and picked up a few basta boxes like this
Very simple but effective . We used one over the weekend and with the box left in tbe van it still kept the food cool.
I used this at a re-enactment where it's normally hidden away but we do have one we can leave out in plain site. Thats a wooden chest lined with 1inch kingspan insulation that also works pretty effective!y.

I did a clearance some time ago and picked up a few basta boxes like this
Very simple but effective . We used one over the weekend and with the box left in tbe van it still kept the food cool.
I used this at a re-enactment where it's normally hidden away but we do have one we can leave out in plain site. Thats a wooden chest lined with 1inch kingspan insulation that also works pretty effective!y.
A bit like a hay box in reverse, nice one.

Funnily enough when we did the clearance there were a few damaged boxes too and i used one to make a hay box or rather it's modern equivalent. Rather than hay i cut some of the damaged boxes to fit inside with a cutout space for a casserole dish. I feels it works but the other half is less convinced .

😁 i can convince her of somethings but her argument against the haybox idea is that the food isn't hot enough when its time to eat and needs warming up. I think this comes from her side of the family who have the idea that food should be as hot as possible on the plate. For instance her sister is a decent cook but what i find irritating when we go for dinner is that the already cooked and hot food goes in the microwave for a nuking just before it goes on the table. Sometimes i have to sit there a while for it to cool down a bit. I find too hot is like too cold in that you just can't taste the food properly.

Reactions: lol
I can't stand hot food on a cold plate.....:mad:

(except when I'm camping.....then all food, anyhow...is great!!!:thumbsup:)

Back