• Welcome to Life In The Wilderness

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

CORONA VIRUS

Ystranc

Don't let em get to you Matt.... best look after your remaining teeth though or crispy bacon as part of a full English will be a thing of the past.

1 shot willie

Administrator
Staff member
A case of get on with it now.......they can't afford to subsidise the economy anymore.
Putting the onus on the population to do the right thing and keep up with the precautions......yeah.....RIGHT 🙄🙄

Ystranc

They're keeping very quiet about the Lambda strain of covid, currently only "of interest" in the UK...formerly known as the (Peruvian) South American variant. It seems to be suppressed by the new types of mRNA vaccines used in the West (the millions vaccinated with Astrazenica will likely need an mRNA based booster in the Autumn) but there are doubts that the Chinese vaccines work on it. Boris may be trying to claim that the worst is over but it's a much bigger picture than the UK situation...

38thfoot

Very Addicted
For comparative purposes the IR here in Manchester is now higher than it was in January during the last major wave; the hospitalisation numbers is about 1/5 of the previous figure and of that the High dependency figures is proportionately lower; the figures for mortality are lower still. It is potentially at a point where although there are a high number of cases the strain on the NHS is considerably lower as is the actual risk to health. Couple that with the fact that the nation has been borrowing to subsidise itself and people are starting to ignore the rules anyway and they felt it was worth the risk to bring back normality (or some elements of it at least).

38thfoot

Very Addicted
All the evidence I’m being shown is that the Delta variant is more transmissible but no more dangerous than previous variants and may possible be less virulent.

38thfoot

Very Addicted
I think that’s part of the issue that it’s felt that individuals need to accept some responsibility as this isn’t going away and we need to work through it.

it doesn’t help that we’re bombarded by a media (and opposition politicians) that have two scripts ready for every decision so they can complain!

Bopdude

Extremely Addicted
It is still rife and doing the rounds EASYLY my partners Nephew and his wife ( selfish barstewards ) went to watch the footy final in another town, they've contracted covid-19, passed it on to 3 out of 4 kids so far, and a friend who works in a home for people with learning disabilities, where my Son and Daughter work who both have new borns, I'm fuming but I'm isolating for different reasons so can't do much, like I could do anyway, 3rd wave incoming and a Christmas lockdown?

38thfoot

Very Addicted
The logic of lockdowns was that it slowed the surge of seriously ill people hitting the hospitals; although current wave is showing high infection rates that has not manifest itself into anywhere near the same levels of hospitalisation as previously. Those who have to be hospitalised have tended to not be a s seriously ill so are not requiring intensive care or high dependency treatment and an even smaller proportion are actually dying. Because of global travel and business this will be around for the foreseeable future; we need to learn to live with it and that requires some self-discipline.

Although Boris hasn’t ruled out lockdowns in the future the hope is that they won’t be needed.
Vaccinations have broken the link of “Infected - seriously ill - long hospital treatment - possible death” but it won’t be able to eradicate it worldwide for a long time.

Gulfalan67

Slightly Addicted
I think you blokes in UK have a better understanding of COVID than us Aussies. What are the long term effects? For example people who lose their sense of smell and taste. Does that eventually come back?

Or if you follow the Boris 'let it rip plan', will the UK ultimately be a nation of people without senses of smell or taste?

Not sure that will do much for your internationally recognised fine cuisine...🤣

But serious point. This virus has really only been known for about 18 months. Some people have suffered from it that whole period and never really recovered. Has anybody really fully recovered, with no further effects...? Personally I do not equate this virus with the common cold or flu....

I prefer to apply a precautionary principle in the face of these unknowns

Cheers

Alan

1 shot willie

Administrator
Staff member
This "let it rip" attitude I fear like many others...... is going to see us all with unsumountable problems.. and strife.

Far to much....and to soon.

Gulfalan67

Slightly Addicted
Those of you following the Tokyo Olympics ( now dubbed the 'COVID Games' in some sections of the media) will appreciate this clash of philosophies.

After cancelling the 2020 games the Olympic committee were adamant that the Games go ahead in 2021. Sponsorship, television rights and other big money was involved. Without the plethora of deals and licences surrounding the Games to bring in income, the IOC runs out of cash. And of course the Japanese had invested to the tune of twenty billion to host the games. They also needed it to go ahead.

But a majority of the Japanese population are against it. Some of the major sponsors are disassociating themselves (Toyota, Panasonic, Fuji) and the Olympic Village COVID cluster continues to grow.

Athletes participating are basically locked in their rooms when not competing and are tested daily. Where's the joy? Sounds bloody miserable to me.

Keep an eye on this event folks. Its a test case for the needs of the economy and big business overriding medical advice and common sense for the sake of financially benefiting a few...

Sorry to appear cynical, -but on this issue I am.

Alan

Gulfalan67

Slightly Addicted
Boris and his capitalist mates say we need to get 'back to normal' as soon as possible. But haven't they heard? We are all living in a new normal. They want their cake and eat it.

Key offenders in this respect are the airlines and Im sorry to say your British Air. They applied pressure on government to maintain services through much of the pandemic (while many smaller street front businesses had to close and lose income) and by doing so directly contributed to the severity of the pandemic in UK and the many thousands of lives lost. All in the name of profit.

I have a family member flying with BA who described spewing aircraft loads of COVID afflicted passengers out into the terminals at Heathrow at the height of the pandemic... its nuts! And all because of the huge political leverage of the airline industry and big business.

Sorry. Rant over.

Alan

Ystranc

Boris and his capitalist mates say we need to get 'back to normal' as soon as possible. But haven't they heard? We are all living in a new normal. They want their cake and eat it.

Key offenders in this respect are the airlines and Im sorry to say your British Air. They applied pressure on government to maintain services through much of the pandemic (while many smaller street front businesses had to close and lose income) and by doing so directly contributed to the severity of the pandemic in UK and the many thousands of lives lost. All in the name of profit.

I have a family member flying with BA who described spewing aircraft loads of COVID afflicted passengers out into the terminals at Heathrow at the height of the pandemic... its nuts! And all because of the huge political leverage of the airline industry and big business.

Sorry. Rant over.

Alan
Feel free to rant all you like Alan, the pity is that the morons that govern us don't read this forum. They've made some fairly dubious decisions throughout this pandemic, many of which have cost lives.
The problem is the balancing act between lives, long term effects, government debt and the economy...the rush to restart the economy will almost certainly result in the spread of Delta or a subsequent variant of covid.
Some would say that we need to get back to how things were before covid, I personally don't think its possible yet, I also think it's unwise to try until all eligible adults are vaccinated. There are parts of the U.K. Where the Delta variant is rife and vaccine uptake is as low as 60% of those eligible to have had it.