• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Crickets anyone?

Woodlander

Very Addicted
Decided with the dire situation we are all facing, to try new forms of protein.
So bought some cricket powder to try.
Had some on my porridge this morning, it's unusual tasting, slightly nutty taste. Going to bake a loaf of bread with some in later. Definitely something worth thinking about as a protein source.
IMG_20210116_094647.jpg

IMG_20210116_094701.jpg

IMG_20210116_095059.jpg
IMG_20210116_095119.jpg
IMG_20210116_100604.jpg
IMG_20210116_101505.jpg

Supposed to be the future of food, had a little look into this, apparently there is high arsenic counts been found in a few brands no mention of what brands, so could be pish lol, however if the crickets are feeding on rice that has arsenic then it will condense within the crickets... to be honest I’ve only read and seen 1 article and 1 YouTube about this

There looking at protein foods becoming more in demand, 70% more in 25 to 30 years and this could be the answer to the problem....

Really interested to see how you go with this Jon, will you use it solely for your protein intake or to top up ?

Eating Crickets ! I'm not bowled over by the idea, cooking them for a start, one slip and you could be stumped. Is it just a load of old spin, are they just pushing the boundaries or pulling our leg I wonder? I think I'll bail out of the Cricket eating game anyway, just in case I'm caught out and end up with the runs. 😄

Eating Crickets ! I'm not bowled over by the idea, cooking them for a start, one slip and you could be stumped. Is it just a load of old spin, are they just pushing the boundaries or pulling our leg I wonder? I think I'll bail out of the Cricket eating game anyway, just in case I'm caught out and end up with the runs. 😄

Nope, the runs are not mans best friend 😂

on another note lol, crickets may very well be....there’s been a lot of science’y stuff done on insects for food, however crickets are really what they eat, they store toxins if consumed (so I’ve read) tho they are high in protein and all the rest of the goodies that the body needs, as I’ve read and seen they are pound for pound better than steak 🤷🏼‍♂️

Funny enough just been watching Ed Stafford and he was eating grasshoppers, same same lol, I would give them a go, eaten critters before now.

Apparently good for the googlies though. :rolleyes:

Jon, how much was it, was it reasonable ????

Apparently good for the googlies though. :rolleyes:

Jon, how much was it, was it reasonable ????
£4.99 for 100 grams. The friend I have bubbled with during covid, was talking about raising her own crickets, so it gave me the idea to buy and try some before starting a cricket farm.

Cheers Jon, the cricket farm sounds interesting.
Here's the link @Bam.
I'm not doing a cricket farm, but it does sound very interesting, I'll watch my friend do hers but I've got interest in other things at present

Gave up the fags, been 4 months now. I'm eating tinned fish, but not sardines or pilchards, and you can still keep your oysters 😊
Very happy for you for giving up the smoking, it just gets easier from now on...I packed in on the eve of my 30th birthday...just stopped cold turkey...I wish that I'd never started at all.
It's like anything else that seems difficult at first, getting your mindset right is half the battle, keeping it right is the other half.
Good luck with it.

I thought for some time now that this is probably the way forward with regards to eating insects. Leave them as actual bugs and i fear most would turn their noses up at them. Most already do with regular offal but turn insects or whatever into something nondescript like a burger , sausage , biscuit or in this case flour and uptake would probably be higher.

It puts me in mind of the seasonal swarms of lake flies on lake Victoria where the locals catch them when they've just hatched and they're still sterile. They then mush them up and fry them just like burgers....they're supposed to be quite good.

Last edited:
I’ve tried ants, so I suppose given this a go wouldn’t be any different apart from taste of course

In bread it's not noticeable, but sprinkled on food it's not so pleasant. The smell is reminiscent of pet shop, taste is bland but gritty.

Reactions: Bam
Back