• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Crossbow folks here?

Rathwulven BC

Extremely Talkative
Hi guys

I am thinking about getting myself a crossbow. The reason: Rifles and other weaponry, in general, are illegal over here in NL (not so the crossbow).

I am curious if you got recommendations or tips for absolute beginners (I shot bows twice, never a crossbow).

Looking forward to your comments. :)

All good for target shooting:thumbsup:.....but I would never hunt with one......even if it were legal here in the U.K.
The only exception being out and out survival needs.........a need that will hopefully never arise:thumbsup:

Hi guys

I am thinking about getting myself a crossbow. The reason: Rifles and other weaponry, in general, are illegal over here in NL (not so the crossbow).

I am curious if you got recommendations or tips for absolute beginners (I shot bows twice, never a crossbow).

Looking forward to your comments. :)

Because you are just starting out in the crossbow world I would recommend something in the range of 100lbs draw to start off with and maybe go with a recurve to keep it simple, when you feel ready to up the game a bit I can recommend the jaguar MK2 175lbs it packs a serious punch for a recurve and will give hours of fun on the target range. Here is a pic of my Jag mk2
IMG_20180109_143128.jpg

As far as I know it is legal to own one there as long as it doesn't look like a replica military assault rifle if you're 18 or over but absolutely illegal to hunt with any air rifle and any person wishing to hunt using a firearm in the Netherlands must pass a course and competency test as well as prove that they have access to land on which to hunt.

Last edited:
Thats about right Ystranc...But the OP can still get an air weapon.

'In the Netherlands, air guns can be owned by persons from the age of 18 years and can freely be acquired. Until 1997 there were limitations on muzzle velocity and kinetic energy, similar to the German law, but these restrictions were lifted for practical reasons. Carrying air guns in public and the possession of air guns (and toy guns) that resemble firearms is prohibited. The expression "to resemble" is nowadays given a very broad interpretation so that just about any airgun can be considered to resemble a firearm. Whether an airgun is considered to resemble a firearm too closely is decided by the police or, when it comes to that, by the court. It is impossible to predict the outcome of such courtcases. Air guns may be kept in private homes but must be inaccessible for persons under 18. Commercial sales of airguns may only take place in licensed gunshops. It is illegal to own an airgun that was "produced or modified so that it can more easily be carried concealed". Generally this is considered the case when the barrel has been shortened or the weapon has a folding or telescoping stock '

Source: Air gun laws - Wikipedia

I always cringe when I see people use the word "weapon" when talking about or discussing sporting Rifles in general :(
A weapon is used with intent to harm with malice.......a sporting rifle is used for selected humane and respectful control/culling of certain species.:thumbsup:

I could have probably got that over better.....but you get my drift I hope :thumbsup:

Buy an air rifle or (if need be) an air pistol.

That might become an issue, it is illegal in NL to own a lot of weaponry (with exception of low force BB-type of guns with kink action). Yeah, don't ask me why this is the law.... Also works like this for knives (whereas machetes are considered tools, yeah...).

To the others:
Thanks for your comments so far I am going to dig into that.

I'm not normally a fan of Anglo arms knives but they do produce some very good entry level crossbows and hunting bows

Back