• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Curiosity buy..

saxonaxe

Very Addicted
I saw what looked suspiciously like a Mora clone advertised on Heinne Haynes website and at less than £6 I thought it would be worth a look, even if later I relegated it to just a letter opener...
DSC00503.JPG

The knife at the top is a stainless steel Bahco that came as part of a set when I bought a Bahco Laplander saw a long time ago.
Knife in the centre is a Frosts Mora in high carbon steel, and at the bottom is the new arrival, a Magnum Falun made by Boker in 420 stainless steel priced at £5.95p

I'm not a steel guru but I understand 420 stainless is now considered a pretty basic knife steel, although a few years ago it was touted as a wonder steel...fashions change..
First impression is..How do they do it for under £6? I've no idea how deep the tang sits but the feel, size and finish is on a par with both the Mora and Bahco, in fact I like the grip pattern on the Boker in preference to the other two as it's a slightly more raised pattern. Very sharp out of the box, it has a sharp edge spine unlike the other two. The plastic sheath is practically identical to the others.

DSC00504.JPG

My immediate reaction was if organisations, Scout Troops, Bush Craft schools etc; are buying basic knives in bulk at £9-£10 a throw, the Boker if it lives up to it's appearance, may be worth considering as a cost saving exercise. It would mean breaking the " Everyone starts with a Mora" mould, but worth thinking about, although I suspect a... knife expert on You Tube will batton one through dried Oak with the Poll of an axe and declare the new Boker rubbish. :lol:

I tried your suggestion without success, Paul. The magnet is extremely powerful, it easily picks up a full Hurricane lamp by just a tiny contact on the hanging loop. The handle is some kind of Thermo-Plastic and the magnet would not hold anywhere, even right next to the bolster, the handle material completely killed any magnetic influence.

DSC00505.JPG

DSC00507.JPG

DSC00506.JPG

I tried your suggestion without success, Paul. The magnet is extremely powerful, it easily picks up a full Hurricane lamp by just a tiny contact on the hanging loop. The handle is some kind of Thermo-Plastic and the magnet would not hold anywhere, even right next to the bolster, the handle material completely killed any magnetic influence.

View attachment 31922
View attachment 31923
View attachment 31924
I would suggest that they are all Mora blades but the attention to the finish is what makes the difference, saying that I personally think that my hultafors HD is as good if not better than any mora blade that I've used

I have a Hültafors knife that is quite similar and also cost under a fiver...it's lasted well and takes a good edge. I use it for bunnies and butchering

Back