• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Curry Goat.

lee

Slightly Obsessed
Managed to find a supplier of good goat meat for Jamaican Curry Goat ;)

Will post up my recipe over the weekend when I cook this lot up ;)

This was 5lbs of shoulder and was £20

Will freeze you some Joe lol

*recipe now posted below in post 4

image.jpeg

I was in Macro the other day and saw they had Goat legs for sale in there.
Look forward to the recipe :thumbsup:

goat curry is a Nepalese speciality and boy is it good washed down with Khukri rum:sneaky:

Curry Goat Recipe:
3 lbs Goat meat, chopped in cubes
2 Tea spoonSalt
1 Tea spoon Black pepper
*5-6 Table spoon Curry Powder (see below)
1/4 Tea spoon turmeric
1 large Onion, sliced
4-6 cloves Garlic, minced
1 Scotch bonnet Pepper, slice and discard seeds (handle with care)
4 Table spoon Palm oil
4 cups boiling Water
1 large sprig Thyme
1 medium Onion, chopped
3 medium Potatoes, each cut in 3 pieces
1 Table spoon Tomato ketchup
Half a tin of coconut milk

*use Jamaican curry powder NOT Indian cooking curry powder.
Jamaican curry powder ingredients:
1/4 cup whole coriander seeds
2 tablespoons whole cumin seeds
2 tablespoons whole mustard seeds
2 tablespoons whole anise seeds
1 tablespoon whole fenugreek seeds
1 tablespoon whole allspice berries
5 tablespoons ground turmeric

Instructions:
Mix together goat meat, salt, black pepper, 4 Table spoon of curry powder, 1 large onion sliced, garlic, Scotch bonnet pepper. Please in the fridge overnight (or at least 5 hours) to marinate. Also soak your lack eye peas or kidney beans overnight in water to add to your rice:

image.jpeg

Once the meat has marinated over night or for at least 5 hours your ready to cook the curry. . .

1. Remove the sliced onions and scotch bonnet pepper from the bowl of marinated goat meat and set aside.
2. Heat cooking oil in large saucepan on High. Place goat meat in pan and brown to seal in juices.
3. Once the meat is browned add thyme and 2 cups of boiling water; cover, lower heat to Medium-Low and simmer for about 1 hour
4. Chop 1 medium onion and add to pot along with the sliced onion and Scotch bonnet pepper that was set aside earlier
5. Add 2 cups of boiling water and bring to a boil
5. Taste and remove Scotch bonnet pepper based on your taste; add more curry powder to taste
6. Add potatoes, half a tin of coconut milk and tomato ketchup; simmer on low heat for 1/2 hour, or until the meat is falling off the bone.

image.jpeg

Rice:
I serve my curry goat with rice and peas, I've grown up knowing two versions of rice and peas in London, one is with white rice and black eyed peas the other is white rice and kidney beans. You will need to soak either your peas or beans before cooking together with the rice. You can add some diced coconut to the rice while its cooking or you can cook the rice and peas in coconut milk and water with a mix of 50/50. Black eye peas and kidney beans roughly take an hour to cook so cook them in water to start and when it's time to add the rice say 15 mins towards the end of cooking the peas/beans add the rice and coconut or coconut milk, or for non coconut rice just add more water needed for the rice.

Jamaicans Ive know over the years keep their curry goat recipe a very close guarded secret lol and I have yet to get a Jamaican to share their personal recipes with me lol the above recipe is a mix of a well known one with some of my own additions and is about as good as your gonna get outside of Jamaica! . . . . enjoy :D

You should open a cafe lee :thumbsup: a will be saving this post a have never tried goat

i love it mark, I was told by an old Jamaican guy that the original goat curry he had as a child back home was much different from what is now cooked in restaurants and take aways in the uk, the meat was marinated overnight because only old billy goats (males) were slaughtered for meat and they were a very strong meat almost inedible so the only way to make them palatable was to curry the meat, the original goat currys were much hotter and more spices were used for those tough old billy goats but the commercial goat meat we get here now are generally female.

The commercial meat is not so strong mark as the old billy goats that were used back in the day, but even the commercial ones have a very distinctive taste it's got a bit of twang like a hare or strong rabbit mixed with lamb. A lot of people and takeaways etc actually use mutton instead, I've caught out a few takeaways in my time using mutton instead of goat!

Excellent Lee.....thanks for taking the time typing that lot out......and for the pictures and menu :thumbsup::)

Excellent Lee.....thanks for taking the time typing that lot out......and for the pictures and menu :thumbsup::)

I've edited the ingredients list and posted better instructions in post 1 (I forgot to add some ingredients lol) and there is now full instructions for cooking coconut rice ;)

Back