• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

CZECK OFFICERS BEDROLL

So....did the bedroll get used? Thoughts?
I bought one out of curiosity, but the size and weight of it are massive..............needs a Chinook to lift it!!:oopsy: Never mind a compression bag!!

I bought one out of curiosity, but the size and weight of it are massive..............needs a Chinook to lift it!!:oopsy: Never mind a compression bag!!

It's a proper bit of kit and I guess the officers didn't have to carry it, it would have been air lifted to the offers HQ with the offers command and accommodation tent and kitchen lol, it's reminds me of Ray Mears's Australian bed roll he used on his Australian TV show where he didn't hide the fact he was traveling by 4x4, if you want to sleep like an officer you need to 4x4 camp, if you want to sleep light weight then it's just a gortex bag and liner packed in your backpack on your back lol both are as good as each other and I like both, on the move on foot with lightweight kit is my preference but I also love utilising the facilities and sustaining a fully equipped static camp. And I say lightweight travel kit for more than two night must be based on survival kit not bushcraft kit.

Me too .....that's why the tents vary from a PN (lavvu) all the way to the bell tent, via 3 Blacks vintage cotton/canvas tents! (2 GC Majors and 1 Kara):thumbsup:

I used mine when I stayed at Lees earlier in the year and once you work out how it goes together its a good bit of kit but as you said bulky and heavy

I used mine (with the lavvu... or more correctly, pelegrina namioty!) the other week, thinking it was going to be chilly, and use a Czech blanket type sleeping bag therein....but it was so mild, the blanket bag was more than warm enough, so I unfolded the ten tonne origami special, and slept on it.......like a log!!

I used mine (with the lavvu... or more correctly, pelegrina namioty!) the other week, thinking it was going to be chilly, and use a Czech blanket type sleeping bag therein....but it was so mild, the blanket bag was more than warm enough, so I unfolded the ten tonne origami special, and slept on it.......like a log!!
Yes mate they certainly keep to warm, I think you would be warm at 20 below in one of those

Is it only you and I that have them......or the will to lift them??!

I think you and I are the only ones that have 'em...or the will to lift them!! :rofl:

They are a lump BUT mine gets carried in the car. I honestly think though that for a winter camp you cant beat them

Sorry, didn't realise I'd posted twice...........and you are not wrong!

......If you want to sleep like an officer you need to 4x4 camp, if you want to sleep light weight then it's just a gortex bag and liner packed in your backpack on your back.....

I can assure you as an Infantry Officer I very rarely get a 4x4 to carry my kit..........

I can assure you as an Infantry Officer I very rarely get a 4x4 to carry my kit..........

I bet you don't even get a bat man these days 38, now as I remember it an officers camp kit in my day was a canvas sleeping bag roll, sleeping bag, camp bed and an aluminium wash bowl

No bat man for me.

My kit was pretty much as issued, basha (tarp), bivi bag, roll mat and sleeping bag.

I had a lighter snugpac sleeping bag but still used the issue 90 pattern one a lot of the time as it made sleep easier to come by!

No bat man for me.

My kit was pretty much as issued, basha (tarp), bivi bag, roll mat and sleeping bag.

I had a lighter snugpac sleeping bag but still used the issue 90 pattern one a lot of the time as it made sleep easier to come by!

I remember going out at times and if it was your turn to cook it didn't matter what you had on your shoulder but this is getting away from the thread, as far as the bed roll in question its a quality bit of kit

They are a lump BUT mine gets carried in the car. I honestly think though that for a winter camp you cant beat them

I tried mine out in that recent cold snap, I don't know what below 0, but the news was babbling on about it.....anyway I had a Czech army bag inside (the blanket thing) and this....a bit heavy around you, it's a monstrous bit of kit:eek:......but Oh! so toasty warm in t shirt and knicks:thumbsup:

I tried mine out in that recent cold snap, I don't know what below 0, but the news was babbling on about it.....anyway I had a Czech army bag inside (the blanket thing) and this....a bit heavy around you, it's a monstrous bit of kit:eek:......but Oh! so toasty warm in t shirt and knicks:thumbsup:
well the proof is in the using lol and you proved it:thumbsup:

Guys are we talking about this or something different?

Czech Army Bed Roll.png

I planned to get one of these but have not been able to source one other than the Grade C on Military Mart
It was supposed to be as an alternative to my army arctic bag but I understand from the conversation above that it might be even heavier?

Guys are we talking about this or something different?

View attachment 11892

I planned to get one of these but have not been able to source one other than the Grade C on Military Mart
It was supposed to be as an alternative to my army arctic bag but I understand from the conversation above that it might be even heavier?

Hi, if you follow the posts back, the Czech Army sleeping bag I have bracketed as the "blanket thing" or similar, as per your post. As long as the zip is fine, the MM bags are great: I have two. If in doubt, phone them first; they will go to some lengths to accommodate specifics when possible. In context, these bags are superb, and infinitely repairable, with all sorts of uses.You cannot buy a sheet and blanket, never mind a bag, for this price.
I also have the Arctic bag, and that too is stunning value and effective for the price. I use both for different situations or occasions or modes of transport.

Being a big blanket, h.d. sheet and nylon bag, yes the Czech bag is slightly heavier I guess, but does not pack down to the same size as the arctic bag and compression sack. Horses for courses.....

The Czech (Czeck-sic) OFFICERS bag is a completely different thing. There are pictures on Page 2. It is a massive and heavy quilted bag that opens down the middle with toggles, and folds completely open, making a fabulous under quilt .... Both the bags have hood systems, but this latter bag is a monster, but is REALLY snug in cold weather, as long as you don't have to carry it!! I only know of two of us here who were perverse enough to have one, but it can make a base camp, a freezing camp, or a very strong hammock..........bliss. It was about £35 but I haven't seen them for sale of late?

Hope this clarifies things a bit?

It does, thanks. I'll give them a call tomorrow as its the only place I can see with any grade of these. Cheers

Back