• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

D-Day 75th Anniversary.

Brambling

Very Addicted
Today is the 75th anniversary of when Operation Overlord should have taken place. However due to bad weather in the channel, as we all know D-Day was delayed until the 6th June 1944.
I'm a bit of a history geek but I am also afflicted with Quakerish tendencies so I often struggle with the reasons for conflict, I am however a massive supporter of our Armed Forces past and present.
On such a monumental day in our recent history, I thought it worth mentioning and perhaps take a moment at some point today, or tomorrow to remember this time and say a quiet thankyou to those who died on the beaches and those who survived and went on to bring the war to and end.
Lest we forget and all that.

I love my history too, particularly WW2 but the BBC were laying it on pretty thick this morning, giving the coverage a miss.

Laying it on pretty thick?

From a personal point of view.....the thicker the better ;)

The poor souls buried under ground or at the bottom of the sea..... if they were lucky enough to be found given a descent burial.......deserve all the recognition, respect......adoration and thanks that they are shown.
Not to mention those who suffered unimaginable pain and suffering both physical and mental if they survived.

I include our modern day forces in that too.

I will be having a quiet moment to reflect and remember them.

God bless them all :thumbsup:

Back