• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register
Dakota Fire Pit

Review Dakota Fire Pit

Leif

Extremely Talkative
Leif submitted a new resource:

Dakota Fire Pit - Just A Little Time And Elbow Grease

The Dakota fire pit is a fire management system designed to use minimal fuel and with minimal signature. It requires a little elbow grease to produce the pit but once completed would last in a static camp fire a fair few days.

The idea of cooking below ground is to minimise the fires visibility and cut down on the smoke but I would advise the use of a crane to lift and lower the pot if you intended on cooking something more complicated than just boiling water as the heat generated is quite...

Read more about this resource...

Good post Leif. :)

I've used a similar set up myself. but we used it under a clay oven we made, with an adjustable cover over both holes to control the temperature. Worked brillianly, best pizza/bread oven i've come across :)

will get afew of these set up at the bushy site for the guys to try when we hold the event in august

Rob probably is mate - I imagine theres a few names for it ......;)

with the airflow tunnel, does it burn the wood/fuel quickly? as in does it use more, or less wood than above ground regular fire.
and do you block/open the tunnel to adjust how fierce a burn/heat you want, slow burn for stew, quick burn for mornin brew

ta

It burns the fuel more effectiently - a small amount of fuel generates a large amount of heat. Theres an old saying that a open fire burns three times the fuel of a sheltered fire and that burns three times the fuel of a stove ..................and yes you could restrict the air flow to control the burn

Back