• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Darning

Cheapshots

Extremely Talkative
It just a little things but darning socks seems to be a dying skill that could be useful when you're doing a lot of walking and are short on spares.

I wear woolen socks pretty much most of the time, Hoggs of Fife produce some quite nice ones but since they're quite expensive I tend to take the worst pair and unravel them to use to darn the others. I need to do it in daylight and wear my glasses but it isn't difficult.
We keep sheep which we also shear, we then card and spin our own wool. My other half knits and crochets. I also sometimes use the spinning wheel to make natural twine.
We've always been into crafts and skills

I still have a darning mushroom ("weasel" in flash, hence "pop goes the weasel") the problem is getting darnable socks these days.

Seeking out good socks is my current mission, I'm going to try kirkland signature tail socks merino blend 4 pairs £20.

That's supposed to say I've ordered some to try, I still can't edit a post if I don't notice it immediately?

It just a little things but darning socks seems to be a dying skill that could be useful when you're doing a lot of walking and are short on spares.
I have done more darning over the years than you can shake a stick at. My Mother used to have a darning mushroom, but I darn without one. The mushroom makes it a lot easier though.
Keith.

I used to darn when I lived alone and was short of money, but these days socks are cheap enough to have a load in a box and just replace them as they wear out.

I used to darn when I lived alone and was short of money, but these days socks are cheap enough to have a load in a box and just replace them as they wear out.
I rarely wear socks these days, certainly not wen wearing moccasins. Though I will carry heavy wool stockings with me to wear over my moccasins on a winters night.
Keith.
Moccasin_soles_1.jpg

i'm not sure darning is even possible with modern socks, I think it only applies to wool socks.

It used to be classed as a skill in itself called invisible mending. Darning along a cut, tear or across a hole so finely that it perfectly matches the original weave. It was taught in schools before the throwaway society took hold.

Strangely enough, l have recently darned the thumb tips of my gloves. My mother taught me years ago (l think l was about 5) and l can remember darning everything possible in the house! She ran out of things needing mending before l ran out of enthusiasm. l now have a darning mushroom inherited from OH's aunt but previously just used anything to give a firm base. l have also knitted socks in the past but find them uncomfortable as you can feel the stitches. l never learned anything as useful in school as mending stuff. The only useful things l learned were how to change a plug and how to mend a fuse (with wire), neither of which are needed today with fitted plugs and switched fuses.

It used to be classed as a skill in itself called invisible mending. Darning along a cut, tear or across a hole so finely that it perfectly matches the original weave. It was taught in schools before the throwaway society took hold.
I am not that good mate. But you are right, a lot of those "cottage industry" skills have been lost. Thankfully living history enthusiasts are bringing many of them back, but we will never get back to the pre industrial revolution stage unless of course it all hits the fan & we start all over again.
Keith.

Strangely enough, l have recently darned the thumb tips of my gloves. My mother taught me years ago (l think l was about 5) and l can remember darning everything possible in the house! She ran out of things needing mending before l ran out of enthusiasm. l now have a darning mushroom inherited from OH's aunt but previously just used anything to give a firm base. l have also knitted socks in the past but find them uncomfortable as you can feel the stitches. l never learned anything as useful in school as mending stuff. The only useful things l learned were how to change a plug and how to mend a fuse (with wire), neither of which are needed today with fitted plugs and switched fuses.
Still good knowledge to have Barbara, I am fitting new plugs all the time for various reasons, mostly installing electric pumps or making up extension leads of the size needed. I have even temporarily fixed blown fuses in the vehicles with fuse wire. Learning such skills also opens the mind to other alternatives, helps you think repair problems through. I would bet that if you thought about it, you could make a list as long as your arm of all the skills that you have. One could call them "common skills", but they are not so common these days Barbara.
Keith.

Still good knowledge to have Barbara, I am fitting new plugs all the time for various reasons, mostly installing electric pumps or making up extension leads of the size needed. I have even temporarily fixed blown fuses in the vehicles with fuse wire. Learning such skills also opens the mind to other alternatives, helps you think repair problems through. I would bet that if you thought about it, you could make a list as long as your arm of all the skills that you have. One could call them "common skills", but they are not so common these days Barbara.
Keith.
Thanks Keith. l'm sure everyone on this forum could do the same and all our skills are different. l know nothing about guns and shooting (even though l used to be pretty good at hitting a stationary target with an arrow) so post SHTF would rely on trapping rabbits and pheasants just outside the door. Fish are an easy walk away. And, yes, from time to time l do still change plugs and rewire old lamps etc. One of today's tasks is to replace a light bulb. My older boy tells me he has a friend (male) who can't even do that and wants my son to go round to his house 20 miles away to do it for him! Oh dear.

Back