• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Darning

who am I to care what anyone else wears? "frankly my dear, I don't give a damn", they can wear sack cloth and ashes for all I care. I was just making an observation.

when their not in what? I assume you mean the army! normal working gear around here, cant say I've ever seen a farmer or a stockman wearing a stockmans coat though!

That's because they're an Australian thing that became popular over here (like Ugg Boots) ;)

when their not in what? I assume you mean the army! normal working gear around here, cant say I've ever seen a farmer or a stockman wearing a stockmans coat though!
Stockman coats very popular with Stockmen over here:)
Keith.

My mom got me darning and cooking when I was a nipper, her rational was that I'd never have to rely on a woman LOL

No typo, its Mom where I was born in the UK, some parts say Mum.
That is VERY interesting Harry, seriously. I know Mam, my Mother was Cymru (Welsh), & Ma, but I have always thought that Mom was all American! What part of the UK uses the term Mom Harry?
Keith.

I found this, very interesting though way off the topic on Darning, sorry:oopsy:
Keith.

Mom and Mommy are old-English words, words that are still used in Birmingham and most parts of the West Midlands. It is said that when people from the West Midlands went to America many years ago they took the spelling with them, hence Americans use Mom and Mommy.

In the West Midlands the words Mum and Mummy are frowned upon as they look and sound wrong, local schools teach the spelling of Mom and Mommy and the kids still come home with handmade cards with Mom and Mommy Spelling.

In the North East (in Tyne and Wear) they say and write Mam and Mammy.
http://projectbritain.com/americanbritish/americanspelling.html

l call my mother "mam" so guess where l was born. My sons call me "mum" so you can probably guess they weren't born in the same place.

Back