• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Dartmoor with my boy.

It’s well over 30 years since I’ve been to Dartmoor, I should rectify that.
All you gotta do, is give me a shout, I know many places where you don’t see a Grockle. Thank you for doing the links.

I've driven past Dartmoor and seen signs for it in UK. Looks striking.

Is the absence of forest natural or a result of clearance?

Alan
Clearance many years ago, much of it to build mighty naval fleets during Drakes days…….I believe. But, good news, much is underway to plant native trees. 🤞

Clearance many years ago, much of it to build mighty naval fleets during Drakes days…….I believe. But, good news, much is underway to plant native trees. 🤞

Thanks Red. Had heard a similar story about the British Navy and just checking.

They needed all those boats to ferry their drunks, chook-thieves and hoors down under....! 🤣

I've driven past Dartmoor and seen signs for it in UK. Looks striking.

Is the absence of forest natural or a result of clearance?

Alan
Both.......originally a lot of cover would have been "open canopy forest"

I think the clearing of forests also goes back to when wool was really valuable. Britain has been cleared and intensively farmed in one way or another since before the Norman invasion. I read a report recently that stated the percentage of forested land is actually higher now than at any time since the Roman occupation… go figure 😶

Back