• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Davids Plot

David Day

Slightly Addicted
Well its official, I’m a member of the Eccleshall Allotment Society!

I went to see the plot on Sunday with the treasurer and the president of the society as they like to vet people before their offered a plot. Luckily they have impeccable taste and offered me the land straight away!

There’s A LOT of work that needs to be done, it’s only been unkept for 6 months but with all the rain an sun we’ve been having its gone very wild.
On the plus side there’s a well established blackberry bush and a damson tree on my land, its also right next to the water supply.

I’ll be going charity shop hopping on Saturday morning to see if I can pick me up some cheap gardening tools (preferably with wooden handles, plastic never feels right) and if the weather holds, get to work clearing it out.

I’m planning on trying to clear a small area completely to start with so I can at least get something in (kale, beetroot & radish are my first thought’s) and then work on the rest in sections, planting as I go.

If its not hammering down at 17:30 ill swing by after work and get some pictures of what were dealing with 😊

Congrats mate, our new allotment was a total state when we got it and all it takes is hard work to sort. Simple eh ???? :lol:

After clearing out all the overgrown stuff and disposing of a lot of the detritus and chopping down the remains of a plum tree and digging out the roots I started at one side, made a bed and then just carried on, clearing and digging over then making another bed. Its still not fully sorted the way we want but she has loads of veg in and we're getting there.

Good luck with it and I hope you enjoy it, there's plenty guys and girls on here who know what they're talking about (I'm not one of them, I'm just the labourer so don't be shy in asking.

Ooh what fun. l had an allotment back in the day when only old men (and me) had them. One of the men told me the first thing you look for in allotments is "How near is the water?" You seem to have landed on your feet with that one. l always found it was as much about the cameraderie as the food growing. You will find your fellow allotmenteers are full of advice and spare plants so in no time at all the ground will be productive.

Well its official, I’m a member of the Eccleshall Allotment Society!

I went to see the plot on Sunday with the treasurer and the president of the society as they like to vet people before their offered a plot. Luckily they have impeccable taste and offered me the land straight away!

There’s A LOT of work that needs to be done, it’s only been unkept for 6 months but with all the rain an sun we’ve been having its gone very wild.
On the plus side there’s a well established blackberry bush and a damson tree on my land, its also right next to the water supply.

I’ll be going charity shop hopping on Saturday morning to see if I can pick me up some cheap gardening tools (preferably with wooden handles, plastic never feels right) and if the weather holds, get to work clearing it out.

I’m planning on trying to clear a small area completely to start with so I can at least get something in (kale, beetroot & radish are my first thought’s) and then work on the rest in sections, planting as I go.

If its not hammering down at 17:30 ill swing by after work and get some pictures of what were dealing with 😊
Little at a time is definitely the way to go David

Congratulations. Yep, clear a bit get some veg in, rinse and repeat. King seeds and T&M have a great selection of veg plants, bit expensive, but worth a punt and there's nothing wrong with a bit of a cheat this year. :)
As @Barbara has said, allotments are very sociable places so I'm sure you'll have plenty of plants and advice in no time.

Congratulations. Yep, clear a bit get some veg in, rinse and repeat. King seeds and T&M have a great selection of veg plants, bit expensive, but worth a punt and there's nothing wrong with a bit of a cheat this year. :)
As @Barbara has said, allotments are very sociable places so I'm sure you'll have plenty of plants and advice in no time.
I' never known a gardener to germinate a packet of seeds and not get a few plants more than they needed, I'm sure people will be pressing freebies on you to help you get started

Water or the problem of collecting came up on another forum I use . A poster having no shed was looking for ideas,
For a water but without a shed you can knock up a canvas/old tarp material cone. Not as efficient as a shed and a down pipe but it will work. Work with nature and don't over water, most veg will set deep roots searching for moisture

My father had water butts on the sheds and green houses but also seemed to have a thing for buckets with numerous ones all over the garden sat upright happily filling every time it rained although I don't think it was intentional . I seem to have taken after him and there's no prior planning on my part 😡
One of my customers has a smallish circular lawn that I look after . It has a few patches and she called in Green Thumb ( a lawn treatment company in the midlands) and they put in some test holes and concluded that the first inch wasmoist but it was bone dry below that. They have recommended she put the sprinkler on it two or three times a week and to place a pan under the sprinkler. When there is an inch of water in the pan she can turn off the sprinkler so we are talking aconsiderable amount of water and she's on a meter . Probably not going to happen...

My father had water butts on the sheds and green houses but also seemed to have a thing for buckets with numerous ones all over the garden sat upright happily filling every time it rained although I don't think it was intentional . I seem to have taken after him and there's no prior planning on my part 😡
One of my customers has a smallish circular lawn that I look after . It has a few patches and she called in Green Thumb ( a lawn treatment company in the midlands) and they put in some test holes and concluded that the first inch wasmoist but it was bone dry below that. They have recommended she put the sprinkler on it two or three times a week and to place a pan under the sprinkler. When there is an inch of water in the pan she can turn off the sprinkler so we are talking aconsiderable amount of water and she's on a meter . Probably not going to happen...
What a lot of folks don't realize is that a heavy overnight dew is as good as a shower of rain because the plants/grass will absorb the moisture through their leaves

Back