• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

DAYSACK

@lovelife82

For £10.00 that is a nice day bag to start off with ;)

Most packs even top end and military will suffer water ingress.......so I wouldn't get too concerned with that.
Preparation and preparedness are the key ......think outside of the box sometimes.
If you know the pack/bag will let water in.....just wrap the kit inside a bin liner or preferably a cheap dry bag.........roblem solved.
The bag may not stand up to prolonged hard use......but starting out as you are on a budget...... the odd trip here and there.......the bag should serve you well.

Like the color and hope, you enjoy using it.

^^^^ Wot he says.

As and when you decide to spend money on a bigger bag Amanda, you can use your tenner bag for keeping stuff in the car or for a commute or.... whatever. It will be fine to start with. 👍

That £10 bag will do you fine, just put a bin liner in to pack your kit to keep it dry. One of the best small packs I own was from Argos, about ten years old now and still going strong. Old military packs like the M90 are old kit, often canvas and soak up water like a sponge...steer clear of kit like that.

@lovelife82

For £10.00 that is a nice day bag to start off with ;)

Most packs even top end and military will suffer water ingress.......so I wouldn't get too concerned with that.
Preparation and preparedness are the key ......think outside of the box sometimes.
If you know the pack/bag will let water in.....just wrap the kit inside a bin liner or preferably a cheap dry bag.........roblem solved.
The bag may not stand up to prolonged hard use......but starting out as you are on a budget...... the odd trip here and there.......the bag should serve you well.

Like the color and hope, you enjoy using it.

Thanks Willie :) Yeah it’ll serve its purpose until I can get something better. I like the colour too. Blue is one of my favs, plus it matches my tent lol 😬

It's surely not a horribly fault to buy a day pack for 10 £. I guess you will go from time to time to the supermarket or you will transport something in town.

But if you should continue buying stuff, it might be a good idea to ask us about our recommendations.

Most beginners buy stuff they can't really use, because they have no idea what's going on. They usually throw their budget out of the window.

Lovelife, there is a phrase you need to learn, you can use it in all walks of life, the phrase is

"FIT FOR PURPOSE" Is what your buying Fit For Purpose, this could be a new car or a new pack, will it do what you need it to do, if it does and you can afford it then buy it. I've spent £250 on Goretex jackets but are those jackets any better than a £30 Army Goretex? Not really on a FFP level. Your happy with your £10 pack, then use it, not just for supermarket trips but it will make a good day pack, don't worry about anyone looking down their nose at it, just use it.

Lovelife, there is a phrase you need to learn, you can use it in all walks of life, the phrase is

"FIT FOR PURPOSE" Is what your buying Fit For Purpose, this could be a new car or a new pack, will it do what you need it to do, if it does and you can afford it then buy it. I've spent £250 on Goretex jackets but are those jackets any better than a £30 Army Goretex? Not really on a FFP level. Your happy with your £10 pack, then use it, not just for supermarket trips but it will make a good day pack, don't worry about anyone looking down their nose at it, just use it.

While I agree with the gist of your post, my bezzy Goretex jacket is better than my 30 quid ex pussers ones (free in my case). Is it 6 times better (bought on sale for 175) ??? No, but it is a lot better and I was happy to treat myself to it. We all like to treat ourselves from time to time. :)

The Army Goretex jacket is technically nearly identic with the expensive civil product. Goretex three layers is Goretex three layers. The used one is just payd by the state and later sold cheap to you, the civil new one you have to pay yourself.

This are good hiking ruck sacks for example.
Which can be recommended in your case, depends on what you plan to do with it exactly, how tall and strong you are and several other points.
If you are small and weak other civil products would be the first choice.

But here you can see, what the German, Austrian, Dutch and British Armies buy for theyr soldiers to use it in central and northern Europe.
This rucksacks are constructed correctly.

Civil rucksacks which are made like this but from lighter material for small ladies exist too and usually aren't always olive green.

But olive green is even for exclusively civil use the best in my opinion. Especially for wild camping.

That's the lightest NATO rucksack.

That has the right size, but exists in a smaller version and in civil colours too.

That is cheap, a bit heavier and usually available without problems.

That has the right size.

That's more for day hikes without camping equipment. But it could be used with camping equipment for a weekend too in the summer, if the person is small and doesn't carry to much stuff.

All this rucksacks aren't totally water proof.
But as you see, it doesn't rain directly in the bag!

Last edited:
There are plenty of waterproof pack covers available for just about any pack out there.
Simple and cheap way of keeping your kit and pack dry.
Some packs come with a cover already attached..... Normally housed in its own pocket and easily and quickly. deployed.

That's an option of course, but if it's windy they can fly away, especially if the rucksack is made like that blue one.

In my opinion a dry bag is the best option or a plastic bag like a bin liner as cheap solution for short trips.

Yes, that all works, if I find a rucksack or somebody gifts it to me.
But if I buy equipment I look of course for the best solutions, and than I wouldn't buy a rucksack with a long zipper. In my opinion such rucksacks are made for dry areas during the summer and for city use.

As I wrote: Such forums are made to ask experienced people what they recommend or think about stuff a beginner has seen in the internet.
We don't know the quality of stiching and zippers of every rucksack in the world. But we can see from the photos, if there is a construction fault.
Most stuff is badly constructed, by the way.
That's the reason, why experienced people usually recommend always the same stuff of a few trusty brands and army stuff.

But army stuff isn't always the best for everyone and everything. It's often very heavy and bulky, especially for women most times to heavy to carry it if the whole equipment is taken from that sources.

That's an option of course, but if it's windy they can fly away, especially if the rucksack is made like that blue one.

In my opinion a dry bag is the best option or a plastic bag like a bin liner as cheap solution for short trips.

Yes, that all works, if I find a rucksack or somebody gifts it to me.
But if I buy equipment I look of course for the best solutions, and than I wouldn't buy a rucksack with a long zipper. In my opinion such rucksacks are made for dry areas during the summer and for city use.

As I wrote: Such forums are made to ask experienced people what they recommend or think about stuff a beginner has seen in the internet.
We don't know the quality of stiching and zippers of every rucksack in the world. But we can see from the photos, if there is a construction fault.
Most stuff is badly constructed, by the way.
That's the reason, why experienced people usually recommend always the same stuff of a few trusty brands and army stuff.

But army stuff isn't always the best for everyone and everything. It's often very heavy and bulky, especially for women most times to heavy to carry it if the whole equipment is taken from that sources.

There are times @Erbswurst when members post up a piece of kit that they have found....... and are happy with........ it's within their budget.........it will do the job until they want to upgrade......... they are pleased to share their purchase with us on the forum.
It may not be ideal in your opinion .....but they are happy and do not need to have a lengthy lecture of the possible failings pointed out to them...........unless advice is asked for.........which it was not in the original post by her...........talk about bursting someone's bubble :rolleyes:

Chill out and be happy for people.

There is another flaw to military packs in that they are usually designed to be worn with webbing and sometimes with body armour. The NI patrol sack is a perfect example in that many people find the shoulder straps uncomfortable as they are too far apart as they were designed to sit outside the plate on enhanced combat body armour. The use with webbing generally precludes effective hip belts when compared to packs designed for civilian purposes.

With all things if it fits your needs then it fits your needs; doesn’t matter what others think.

Thanks for all your replies everyone :) much appreciated and yeah, considering I’m just starting out and on a budget, I am happy with my £10 daysack purchase :) It will do me for what I need it for atm then in the future will upgrade. Thanks again :)

The Army Goretex jacket is technically nearly identic with the expensive civil product. Goretex three layers is Goretex three layers. The used one is just payd by the state and later sold cheap to you, the civil new one you have to pay yourself.

I’d fundamentally disagree with this point; I’ve had at least four different designs of British army gotetex and they are designed to a purpose; my civi Berghaus jacketis better in every respect (other than concealment as it’s red), it has better designed pockets, a better designed hood (don’t think I’ve ever worn a hood as a soldier and the latest design doesn’t even have one), has a massive degree of adjustment at hems and cuffs, under arm zipped ventilation, ported pockets for phone and headphones and is an utterly brilliant piece of equipment. It couldn’t do what my issue goretex does but I don’t need it to; my issued goretex isn’t as good at doing the stuff I use my civi jacket for but again I don’t need it too. The point is that military kit isn’t necessarily better unless you are doing the task it was designed for.

Second hand civi kit can be just as cheap and it maybe better designed for the task you want it to do.

I’d fundamentally disagree with this point; I’ve had at least four different designs of British army gotetex and they are designed to a purpose; my civi Berghaus jacketis better in every respect (other than concealment as it’s red), it has better designed pockets, a better designed hood (don’t think I’ve ever worn a hood as a soldier and the latest design doesn’t even have one), has a massive degree of adjustment at hems and cuffs, under arm zipped ventilation, ported pockets for phone and headphones and is an utterly brilliant piece of equipment. It couldn’t do what my issue goretex does but I don’t need it to; my issued goretex isn’t as good at doing the stuff I use my civi jacket for but again I don’t need it too. The point is that military kit isn’t necessarily better unless you are doing the task it was designed for.

Second hand civi kit can be just as cheap and it maybe better designed for the task you want it to do.

Much more eloquently put than I tried further up the thread and I totally agree.

As I wrote somewhere else:
I don't know the most British military stuff.

The German Flecktarn surplus is designed different to civil products but it's most times better. Even for civil hiking.
But of course it is Flecktarn.

DOG WITH A BONE.JPG

Back