• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Dead otter

lol

Extremely Addicted
Sad thing....on a village litter pick today, I came across a dead adult otter, maybe 2 weeks dead. There is a series of ponds adjacent the river, all on the opposite side of the road?
No obvious trauma, but.....................................

Attachments

• OTTER 1.jpg
    OTTER 1.jpg
    768.7 KB · Views: 68
  • Otter 2.jpg
    Otter 2.jpg
    641.1 KB · Views: 65
The main valley trunk road with us follows the river, every 200 yds or so there are 4 foot pipes from one side to the other. I
sometimes use these myself to save crossing the road especially with the gun. In the soft mud in the pipes there are always
fresh animal tracks, badgers/otters/fox/squirrels. These manmade corridors are further bolstered by the road having to cross
lots of side streams and also bridges built to give farmers access to cut off fields.

The main valley trunk road with us follows the river, every 200 yds or so there are 4 foot pipes from one side to the other. I
sometimes use these myself to save crossing the road especially with the gun. In the soft mud in the pipes there are always
fresh animal tracks, badgers/otters/fox/squirrels. These manmade corridors are further bolstered by the road having to cross
lots of side streams and also bridges built to give farmers access to cut off fields.
I think the best way forward would be to Logue and photograph the footprints if any.
where they are crossing. You could use a sand trap also, this is a good way to capture other
animals' prints or tracks. this would strengthen your petition.

Many years ago I caught a glimpse of one in a local stream that feeds a reservoir, they are amazing creatures.
They come into our garden to use a mountain stream tunnel that goes under the old valley road, it comes out further up,
from there they can go over the top to access the next valley over. It was built in 1909 and can remember the old men saying
that the otters used it.

Sad thing....on a village litter pick today, I came across a dead adult otter, maybe 2 weeks dead. There is a series of ponds adjacent the river, all on the opposite side of the road?
No obvious trauma, but.....................................

Very sad to see this. Being an outback Aussie I'm fairly desensitised to road kill but still hate seeing it.

Would driver education help? Road signs?

Alan

Very sad to see this. Being an outback Aussie I'm fairly desensitised to road kill but still hate seeing it.

Would driver education help? Road signs?

Alan
.........yup if you wanted it ripped out, lol!
Education is not something we are very good at in the UK...........:(

I can only remember one otter killed on the road locally, lots of badgers, foxes and squirrels though.

Back