• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Decent camp bedding

Medwayman

Quite Addicted
Have tried various items but always have trouble with pain in my hips when sleeping on my side foam ones help but not quite enough and inflatables and me just do not get on , suggestions??

Car camping then maybe a cot bed, carry in then a thicker airbed, I can't remember the name off hand but think go outdoors do them, not sure of the weight, or alternatively hammock camping is my luxury.

Reactions: Bam
Car is not an option as I have never driven do not know how to drive never even taken a car test. Did try a cot bed but anything I take must be carried and was far to heavy and have tried a few inflatables but i have a very annoying knack of finding the smallest sharpest thing that goes straight through it!!! that leaves foam matting that just do quite give enough support or keeps me away for the freezing ground.

Car is not an option as I have never driven do not know how to drive never even taken a car test. Did try a cot bed but anything I take must be carried and was far to heavy and have tried a few inflatables but i have a very annoying knack of finding the smallest sharpest thing that goes straight through it!!! that leaves foam matting that just do quite give enough support or keeps me away for the freezing ground.
Don't know if I'm lucky or you're unlucky or whatever but I use an inflatable mat and only very rarely have I had an issue. I put down a cheap pound shop tarp, then a reflective car windscreen cover, then the mat. If I'm taking the dog or whatever I'll put the mat in my bivvy bag to give it a bit more protection. Of course, now I've said that, its going to go 'pop' next time I use it. :lol:

I've got one of the cheap thermorest copy camp beds off ebay (think I paid less than ÂŁ30). Small pack size, fairly easy to assemble and I sleep really well on it, like a real bed. Little bit fragile but can sleep on my side with no problem.
Only inflatable I get on with is the Klymit Static V, pretty good.
The other thought is a hammock? I get a good nights sleep in a hammock and they weigh little?

@Philmandoo

Looked at one of those a while back.
What put me off was they look a bit of a faff to assemble....not knocking yours.
What is your honest opinion regards assembly....how are they on less than even ground?

Interested to hear your thoughts :thumbsup:

Not too bad to assemble once you have done it twice - there are no instructions with it so I had to search Youtube. Once you clip two lots of legs on the rest are easy to clip in. It packs down small (i'll do a photo if you want?) weighs not much. And it is comfortable - I put a roll mat on top for insulation and you are in for a good nights sleep.
Downsides are it is a little fragile - you have to be careful when getting onto it to be careful - once you lie down it spreads your load nicely. I've always picked out a flattish spot to lay it on - I imagine on uneven ground it could be a problem.
Overall, the best bed for the weight that I have. I've a few different air mats and the thin ones give me hip ache, the thicker ones I always feel like I'm going to roll off them. I'm wondering how much stronger the genuine Thermorest cot is?
Hope this helps?

@Philmandoo

Thanks for the feedback Phill.....and yes very helpful :thumbsup:
Size and weight does appeal for the odd overnighters......but I think the old passers bed may win the day in the end.

Have you had a look at the Exped air matts mate?.......a few in the range have a larger baffle left and right of the matt....holds you in place..... snug.......never fell off one yet :thumbsup:

Reactions: Bam
@Philmandoo

Thanks for the feedback Phill.....and yes very helpful :thumbsup:
Size and weight does appeal for the odd overnighters......but I think the old passers bed may win the day in the end.

Have you had a look at the Exped air matts mate?.......a few in the range have a larger baffle left and right of the matt....holds you in place..... snug.......never fell off one yet :thumbsup:
My problem with inflatable mats is that they always get holed or start delaminating. I find it hard to justify the price tag of the decent expeds as I know I'll be lucky to get a year or so out of them. I've had to bin a lot of mats :(
The Klymit is my fave, that has the weird pattern of ribs which feels pretty good and I've not slipped off it yet .

Hear what you are saying re the inflatables.
Had the very same as you with one matt (Exped) delaminated between the tubes.....a non fix apparently.
Not sure that the material is of the same quality these days either?
You would think that the producers of these inflatable matts would come up with a reinforced bottom material given the conditions the matts are used in.
Weight saving issues I suppose.....but I would rather have more confidence in the matt personally and have a bit more weight.

Just had a peep at the Klymit Insulated Static V :thumbsup: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Klymit-Insulated-Lightweight-Flip-Valve-Coyote-

Sand/dp/B07TLFVQS9/ref=asc_df_B07TLFVQS9/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309036679350&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8463338463814205371&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006709&hvtargid=pla-781691403533&psc=1

Got to say it looks and sounds nice.....but trying to find a puncture on that would be a bloody nightmare :rofl:
Having said all of that....you could buy 2 of these for the cost of one Exped Winter UL......which I am beginning to think are not worth the bucks anymore. :thumbsup:

How tough would you describe the Klymit material.....as tough as the Expeds?.......Tougher?........or about the same?

Do they come with a repair kit or patches Phill?

I have spent a bit of time looking around at the camp beds on offer......and was almost sold on the old Army issue one......for its simplicity and strength....certainly not its packed size and weight :rofl:

Glad I did not hit the button when first looking.

Think I am going to take a punt at one of these:

Similar in design and assembly to the "Helinox One".........but a third of the price :sneaky:
In the description it sounds fairly easy to put together and dismantle......possibly doable inside a small tent/shelter.

The reviews from other users seem pretty favourable.

LOOK OUT!!.......................the Tart is going in :rofl::rofl::thumbsup:

Last edited:
The Klymit has been good, no issues so far. But then you always are happy with gear until it breaks :(:)

The Alpidex looks good, stronger than the cheap one I've got. Go for it!!!

The Klymit has been good, no issues so far. But then you always are happy with gear until it breaks :(:)

The Alpidex looks good, stronger than the cheap one I've got. Go for it!!!

Yes that is so true mate.....Like everything............ good until it all goes tats up :rofl:

I'm still using a cheap one, think it was sub 30 quid when I got it. Touch wood, its been ok for the last couple of years (ish). If Smurf wasn't loved up he could tell you about the Gucci one he bought recently. :lol:

Cheap closed cell mechanics mat...wide, thick, warm, comfortable and versatile (Kneeling pad, seat-fits in thermarest trekker chair, tent entry mat, sleeping mat)

Won't go in a rucksack though? But will also work well as kneeling mat in a canoe! :rofl:

This was the one I bought - fits inside a Polish Lavvu, too.
Nice lightweight option but I'm right on the edge of its weight limit of 100kilos, the one Bill bought went up to 125kilos if I remember correctly.

Back