• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Decent Lightweight waterproof Poncho.

Big G

Very Addicted
Can anyone recommend a decent lightweight waterproof poncho, big sized one.

I've been debating on buying a decent set of waterproofs. But now I'm thinking of just buying a poncho, i'm gonna get caught out sometime in a decent downpour.

I've got one, made of thin blue so called waterproof material that's nylon stuff that doesn't breath and makes you sweat lol well it does in the over trousers and jackets made of the stuff but used for making punchos is ok as you get plenty of air ;) I would try decathlon I'm sure that's were we got them ;) they pack down smallish if rolled up very tight I can get it about the size of a toilet roll, (4 ply quilted of course not a happy shopper roll :rofl:)

Be careful around naked flames that nylon is highly flammable and it will melt onto you in seconds.

A good option is to make one from a tent or really old tents fly sheet ;)

Cheers Lee, I've got a few pair of them cheap pvc waterproof bottoms, i used to wear em when i went fishing on the boats. Take em off at the end of the trip, and my trousers would be soaked in sweat :rofl: and that was just stood on a boat fishing. That's why I'm thinking of a poncho, stick it in the lid of my pack, just bob it on, when its lashing down ;)

I've been looking at the Snugpak poncho's, i want a decent lightweight one :thumbsup:

Hi Gary.

This is taken from a post I made a while back.
You cant beat a good Poncho...:thumbsup:

Took a break in chores and got the Poncho out for a better look.
It says 100% waterproof and breathable made from Paratex.
It is a well made bit of kit, well stitched, and taped seams.
Zippered neck, and good sized adjustable hood, also has a sizeable map pocket, and hand warmer pocket to keep your gloves dry and hands out of the cold winds.
The arms have elasticated thumb loops which are quite useful and comfortable.
The Poncho is designed so the wearer can cover themselves and his/her backpack as well.
Looking at it and while wearing it, I think it could do with some Velcro, or poppers adding to gather it while using without the backpack, to stop it billowing in the winds.

As for a shelter, it says, can be used as an emergency bivi.....hmm.....I think not, unless you wore it hunched up against a rock or tree!!
Buy tying out the arms and the hem, you could get away with a sitting shelter for a brew.....just!

Is it worth the money?....I would like to say yes, but honestly, for what it is and offers it is over priced....just my opinion.

For a quality Poncho....jobs a good'un:thumbsup::)

Hi Gary.

This is taken from a post I made a while back.
You cant beat a good Poncho...:thumbsup:

Took a break in chores and got the Poncho out for a better look.
It says 100% waterproof and breathable made from Paratex.
It is a well made bit of kit, well stitched, and taped seams.
Zippered neck, and good sized adjustable hood, also has a sizeable map pocket, and hand warmer pocket to keep your gloves dry and hands out of the cold winds.
The arms have elasticated thumb loops which are quite useful and comfortable.
The Poncho is designed so the wearer can cover themselves and his/her backpack as well.
Looking at it and while wearing it, I think it could do with some Velcro, or poppers adding to gather it while using without the backpack, to stop it billowing in the winds.

As for a shelter, it says, can be used as an emergency bivi.....hmm.....I think not, unless you wore it hunched up against a rock or tree!!
Buy tying out the arms and the hem, you could get away with a sitting shelter for a brew.....just!

Is it worth the money?....I would like to say yes, but honestly, for what it is and offers it is over priced....just my opinion.

For a quality Poncho....jobs a good'un:thumbsup::)

Good post Bill, what make poncho is it ;)

Snug-pack enhanced patol mate (Olive)
Cheers Bill, I'm ready to buy one on ebay :)

What's the length like on them, cos I'm a big lad "6'2, and i'd like it to come down to my knee's, with my pack on if possible :rolleyes::rofl:

I have the DD poncho. Really heavy and thick material but is good for what I want. Large size and could be used as tarp in a push.

The largest lightweight Poncho I found are Exped Bivi Poncho and Exped Bivi Poncho UL. 150 cm large. Oliv it is a 1Persons Tarp with hood.

Decathlon Solognac 220x135cm oliv costs 100 € less you will get it in the side pockets of Your trousers. To use it as Tarp You have to attach loops yourself.
1500g used German Army Flecktarn Camouflage is incredible Large around 40 Euro
original Bundeswehr too is Goretex Flecktarn new around 80 Euro 800 g
both are offered by Special Depot Dehler
Austrian or German rubberised oliv used around 20 Euro 900 g a bit fire resistant
Begadi offers Silnylon Poncho 145 large, but long

MFH and Miltec are rubbish in my opinion. The once I bought had not been water resistant.

Golite Ponchotarp disappeared unfortunately from the German market. Perhaps You can get it still in Britain. It is UL

That is all in lovely oliv green and more or less US Poncho Stile I could find on the german market.

The old rubberised ponchos are good.......... no doubt about that.
But walking any long distance with them they soon become sweat boxes and you end up drenched in your own condensation........short trips with low exertion and shelter they are fine.

They are especially made to sit down on them, take a rest and snore a bit.
This type was constructed in the times of the "cold war" so the western German army could be sure, that in the case of confrontation the animy would come along himself! :0)

Hi Erbswurst, thanks for your extensive list and knowledge on poncho's ;)

But i've already decided on the one i'm buying, a Snugpak enhanced patol poncho :thumbsup:

Supporting local manufactures is always the best deal.
You get outstanding quality and save the money for the social service.
My Snugpack Special Forces Sleeping System is the best in the world, I guess.

Supporting local manufactures is always the best deal.
You get outstanding quality and save the money for the social service.
My Snugpack Special Forces Sleeping System is the best in the world, I guess.

Yep, i couldn't agree more, spot on mate :thumbsup:

Look at wilderness innovation
I have regular size poncho have had it for 2-3years now and it’s with me all the time They have bigger sized ponchos also

Back