• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Deer.

lonewolf

Slightly Obsessed
on the Tiverton to Witheridge road. 2.20PM today-sunday.
about 12 RED deer-maybe more-I didn't count them I was too busy breaking!!
charging in a bunch across the field, up and over a high hedge, straight across the road and up and over the hedge into the field opposite.
they are BIG animals!!!!

There's always dear hit buy cars here AV been tempted to stop and do just that joe lol

There's always dear hit buy cars here AV been tempted to stop and do just that joe lol
The law on poaching is quite clear Mark, the driver of the car that hits any animal or bird considered to be game cannot stop and pick it up as that is classed as poaching. You can however pick it up if your in a following vehicle because then it becomes roadkill

its a big animal to butcher, its not really feasible in an ordinary 2 bed semi- you need space and a dedicated area plus somewhere to get rid of the unwanted parts.
I've seen lots of roadkill deer and the police presence in this area is virtually nil so poaching dosent even come into it.

A friend of mine who does go stalking assured me that road kill deer would be a bad option. One of the reasons that you garroch deer as soon after killing as possible is that one of their organs (liver or kidney, not sure which, contains an enzyme that taints the meat badly.

The impact of a car usually spreads the said enzyme through the blood streM and ruins the meat.

I was told a long time ago that wild deer have TB and you have to know what to look for when your butchering it.
you have to be careful with any roadkill as the impact usually pushes the guts into the meat, it depends if its a glancing blow or a head on impact.
I have had some good meals from roadkill, mostly pheasants.

I was told a long time ago that wild deer have TB and you have to know what to look for when your butchering it.
you have to be careful with any roadkill as the impact usually pushes the guts into the meat, it depends if its a glancing blow or a head on impact.
I have had some good meals from roadkill, mostly pheasants.
People including me have eaten road kill for years with no ill effects, mostly rabbits with, grallocking deer is recommended to be done sooner rather than later true but for all you shooters out there how soon do you gut your pheasants after blowing an ounce of shot through its guts?

My comments were deer specific and came from someone who stalked as often as he could.

Not sure if it just tainted the meat or if it was actually harmful to the consumer.

My comments were deer specific and came from someone who stalked as often as he could.

Not sure if it just tainted the meat or if it was actually harmful to the consumer.

No, you are correct about the tainting but I think if it was harmful people would stop eating venison

When I was working in a Suffolk forest I had the good fortune to be invited to a meal by the forest's resident Deer man, where we ate Venison, liver and kidneys. I have always been an advocate of venison but I have to say its one of the few meats where the offal is as delicious as the meat.

any game meat is much better than any commercial meat, its leaner, less fatty and has had a more normal life.
i'd eat game all the time if I had access to it.

any game meat is much better than any commercial meat, its leaner, less fatty and has had a more normal life.
i'd eat game all the time if I had access to it.
I am a vegetarian to the extent that I only eat meat if I know how its been reared. I cant abide eating processed tat.
Does however mean I only manage to eat meat maybe two meals in a week.

i'm a carnivore, but I haven't eaten supermarket meat for about 12 years, we buy all our meat from local farms within a 10 mile radius.

i'm a carnivore, but I haven't eaten supermarket meat for about 12 years, we buy all our meat from local farms within a 10 mile radius.
Thats the best way, plus you support your local farmers, win win.

luckily we live within a rural farming community, that still has a weekly pannier market.
on the downside we lost our local butchers shop some years ago and the bakers went a couple of years after that, still got a good chippie though.

Back