• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Dehydrated chilli

Bopdude

Extremely Addicted
Been thinking of doing my own dehydrated food for the trail for ages, bought a dehydrator a while back but never got round to using it, until now. I made a spag bol and with the leftovers added kidney beans and some packet chilli mix, into that I mixed some cooked long grain rice and set about with the dehydrator, pictures to follow but it turned out great. Once re-hydrated it tastes as good ( or bad ) as the original, now doing some fruit leathers from puree. As said, I'll do some before and after shots of the chilli and post them up later when I eat it :)

Nice one Bop:thumbsup:

Be interested to see how you get on.....and any tips and tricks would be appreciated:thumbsup:
Looked at doing this myself a while back.
When you look at the cost of some of the boil in a bag food:alert: you would soon recoup what you spend on the kit:thumbsup:
You also know what you are eating.....and can make it exactly to your own taste;)

What other recipies/foods would you consider dehydrating to take on a trip ??

Nice one Bop:thumbsup:

Be interested to see how you get on.....and any tips and tricks would be appreciated:thumbsup:
Looked at doing this myself a while back.
When you look at the cost of some of the boil in a bag food:alert: you would soon recoup what you spend on the kit:thumbsup:
You also know what you are eating.....and can make it exactly to your own taste;)

What other recipies/foods would you consider dehydrating to take on a trip ??

Hi mate, this is my first attempt so I'm very much in the learning stages, a lot of tips I'm getting from guys over on trek-lite, off Youtube etc.
The kit was only £25 and has 5 trays, you could probably get about a weeks food on the go, the different meals and combinations are almost endless, 1 guy dehydrates various ingredients separately and stores them in jars, when he wants to make a meal he'll grab this and that i.e. mince, peas, carrots etc etc and gravy or sauce to suit, it's definitely the way forward whether you're trekking or camping, as you say, you know what your eating, you have a hearty meal in twenty minutes, I used an insulated mug to let it re-hydrate rather than pot cosy but may go down that route for field use :)

Interesting mate....I must look into this further:thumbsup:

So many plus points for actually doing this......storage of food in hot/warm weather on long stays for one:thumbsup:
Absolute ease of use in cold weather.
Also packability and storage.....it just works:thumbsup:

I will take a look at Trek-lite and you tube buddy:thumbsup:

As you say, so many pluses I should have done it long ago, as long as you have a water source and filter / purification means you're laughing all the way :)

As promised a few pics etc

In the zip lock bag, 160g of chilli and rice, the Adventure foods spag bol is 140g

And dry on the plate

In the mug ready for water, 300ml of boiling water and let sit for 20 minutes

Gets this, very tasty meal

It certainly looks good Al:thumbsup:

It will do the job Joe, the fruit leather project of today was a disaster but a good learning curve, speaking of which, next meal the veg will be diced smaller specifically for dehydrating and then should dry better, I wasn't that fussed on this test as I knew it was going to be eaten fairly quickly, that size portion wouldn't do me as a main, I would have to either make bigger portions or bulk it out with boil in the bag rice, bread rolls or something, or have some nibbles afterwards ?

It will do the job Joe, the fruit leather project of today was a disaster but a good learning curve, speaking of which, next meal the veg will be diced smaller specifically for dehydrating and then should dry better, I wasn't that fussed on this test as I knew it was going to be eaten fairly quickly, that size portion wouldn't do me as a main, I would have to either make bigger portions or bulk it out with boil in the bag rice, bread rolls or something, or have some nibbles afterwards ?
Personally I'd go for bread rolls Bop, any you don't eat can always be toasted for breakfast

I gave up carrying bread because it always went out of shape, instead favouring wraps, but I suppose a couple of misshaped rolls isn't going to spoil a chilli :D

Nice first attempt mate, that'll deffo fill ya up on a wildcamping trip :thumbsup:

Well it's a start, weight and convenience / ease and taste I'll take dehydrated food now all day long, it really is soooo simple.

I gave up carrying bread because it always went out of shape, instead favouring wraps, but I suppose a couple of misshaped rolls isn't going to spoil a chilli :D
Mis shaped rolls can be fun mate, through choice I always eat granary because I love the toasted grains:rofl: and white bread doesn't do me any good

I went through a stage of granary bread and any sort of seeded breads, some better than others, next mission for the dehydrator is Jerky, I've tried air dried Biltong making in the past with mixed results, I have a recipe and method to try Jerky in the dehydrator so why not :D

I went through a stage of granary bread and any sort of seeded breads, some better than others, next mission for the dehydrator is Jerky, I've tried air dried Biltong making in the past with mixed results, I have a recipe and method to try Jerky in the dehydrator so why not :D
sounds worth it mate, don't forget to post up the results

Can you point to said rule or is it one of the unwritten ones :D Yes Joe, I'll do a bit of a step by step for anyone else to follow, I must shout out to GGTBod though for the how to, great bloke over on BCUK and on Youtube :)

Can you point to said rule or is it one of the unwritten ones :D Yes Joe, I'll do a bit of a step by step for anyone else to follow, I must shout out to GGTBod though for the how to, great bloke over on BCUK and on Youtube :)
It's written in the very very small print Bop, :rofl: I'm sure a lot of members will be very interested

Back