• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Dehydrating for convenience.

MikeR

Slightly Addicted
We preserve a lot of our homegrown food and also when we find bargains.
One of our favourites foods to cook, then dehydrate is dried beans. Kidney, Pinto, Borlotti and Canellini Beans in our case. They are a great standby if, like us you forget often forget to soak your beans! Also very good to make up your own lightweight dehydrated meals for camping.
If you have a dehydrator it's an easy process and there are a lot of videos and instructions to follow.
This is the method we have used with great success.

Dehydrating Dried Beans

Before

beans.jpg

After.

beans 2.jpg

We preserve a lot of our homegrown food and also when we find bargains.
One of our favourites foods to cook, then dehydrate is dried beans. Kidney, Pinto, Borlotti and Canellini Beans in our case. They are a great standby if, like us you forget often forget to soak your beans! Also very good to make up your own lightweight dehydrated meals for camping.
If you have a dehydrator it's an easy process and there are a lot of videos and instructions to follow.
This is the method we have used with great success.

Dehydrating Dried Beans

Before

View attachment 13201

After.

View attachment 13202
Bopdude (AL) is very much into dehydrating Mike

Yep, I'll have a read later too, Harry. I've just bought some dehydrated grub for a walking trip next month, rat pack meals are too heavy for this trip. Averages about £5 a packet, but they're rated around 500 Kcal and about 16 Ounces or less dry, so should keep me plodding along.

Dehydrating certainly is something I would recommend - I have a little different approach though as far as I am cutting out the science here:

Dehydrating can also be done without a device or technology, the sun, your heater or maybe a storage room with a water boiler does the trick. Just take the allium ursinum (wild garlic) in the picture as an example: Three days of hanging in our boiler room as it always contains warmth - garlic taste for the entire year (we have some 15 to 20 fascicles hanging there).

IMG_20180420_240858257.jpg

Actually we just use the machine for entire meals before going on longer trips, all simple stuff can be prepared by "natural" means

Back