• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Devilla...... again.

Hey Bam

Thanks for posting about your camp. I enjoyed reading it and the description of your tasty
meal made me peckish....just coming up to lunchtime here...

Two quick questions on things that stood out in your pics...

1. Fire. Ive already asked about 'wild camping' but when you guys camp are you allowed to light fires or does that differ between locations, weather conditions and land tenures...?

2. Doggos. I was pleased to see you had the 'dug' along. Ive only camped with my boy twice but he always enjoys it.
Can you take doggos out bush with you in UK? Are farmers and pastoralists good with that? What about into national parks? And what special preps if anything do you make for the dug?

Thanks ( I'm a real dug-luvver!)

Alan

Hey Bam

Thanks for posting about your camp. I enjoyed reading it and the description of your tasty
meal made me peckish....just coming up to lunchtime here...

Two quick questions on things that stood out in your pics...

1. Fire. Ive already asked about 'wild camping' but when you guys camp are you allowed to light fires or does that differ between locations, weather conditions and land tenures...?

2. Doggos. I was pleased to see you had the 'dug' along. Ive only camped with my boy twice but he always enjoys it.
Can you take doggos out bush with you in UK? Are farmers and pastoralists good with that? What about into national parks? And what special preps if anything do you make for the dug?

Thanks ( I'm a real dug-luvver!)

Alan

Hi Alan, cheers, glad you enjoyed it. As for fires, I play it by ear, there are some places I just wouldn't because its too dry or if it was somewhere that I'd leave too much of a trace. Even at the wee spot in Devilla there have been times when I thought it was too dry. We can carry in small barby's etc, I've done that too so that its all off the ground, for me its a judgement call, I always have at least one meths pot and frame, often two (there's that small it doesn't matter) so can always cook something. Devilla is quite a well trod plantation with main tracks for logging vehicles and a lot of small tracks so its well used, in certain areas there are a lot of old fire sites, we always clear up after ourselves and restore it as best we can but I stash logs there if we have spare and some dead branches have been hacked off to prevent the spread of fire so if you knew what you were looking for you would know its been used.

Its always better with a dog or two along on a walk or camp I think, depending on what you're doing. I don't always take them if I don't know where I'm going especially if its up the hills or if its a longer trip but for nipping off to the woods its no problems. My girl isn't that bothered but the boy is desperate to come with so I've got a sleep mat for him and a towel (can double as a blanket if required) in case he gets soaked, he's partial to a swim and of course food. They're normally on kibble but I usually take a tin of sardines in oil for their meals, they're more inclined to eat it. My boy is well behaved (if his sister was with us they would encourage each other though) but if there are livestock about I keep him on a line. I doubt he'd seriously go, he responds to my voice but it gives reassurance to others. Some places you have to keep a dog on a lead which is fair enough, not all dogs are well behaved unfortunately.

Hope that helps mate, any more questions ask away.

@Bam nice one mate! I haven't been out since my last trip to devilla (work and commitments getting in the way) but im keen to get back soon.

I'm actually on leave for 2 weeks so will no doubt get a few trips in there and up north too!

Hope all is well. Good effort with the scran too!

@Bam nice one mate! I haven't been out since my last trip to devilla (work and commitments getting in the way) but im keen to get back soon.

I'm actually on leave for 2 weeks so will no doubt get a few trips in there and up north too!

Good stuff mate, hope you can make the most of your leave, where you thinking for 'up north' ? The downside is it will be midgie-tastic at this time of year and as we've been locked down you can bet the bothies will be stowed out. At least we've got Devilla for running off to if we can't get further afield. :)
Me and the missus were planning on a wander up the Ochils over the weekend but weather and a little bit of laziness got the better of us. :oopsy: Lots of good walking and camping round there too.

Hope you enjoy your time off mate, let us know if you get up to any 'adventures'.

Hi FTS, tried to message you but can't. I'm heading in to Devilla on saturday for a wee overnighter, if you fancy it, let me know, I'll be taking booze and a dug (as well as food and shelter and a few other 'nice to haves'... ;) ). I'm not a mean drunk and the dug is easy going drunk or sober, if its something you fancy, let me know mate.

Back