• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Devilla...... again.

Bam

Extremely Addicted
Now that we're sort off allowed out, I was desperate to head out, realistically Devilla is the easiest option for me (and the missus to drop me off) so headed back to my wee spot. Just me and the mutt this time which is fine. Got dropped off at the back of six and strolled in, plenty light at this time of year so got the lavvu set up, was determined to do it without the pole this trip (good job as it turned out).

IMG_20200704_184843.jpg

Got it up normally (fnarr fnarr) then put a wee tie out bobble in the top and rigged the line and dropped the pole.

IMG_20200704_190831.jpg

IMG_20200704_190836.jpg

Got the bedding sorted and everything that needed to be kept dry in the lavvu, it wasn't raining but you knew it was in the post. Then on with prepping some firewood. There was still a fair bit I'd collected from last time but it was quite wet. Cut a load and then split some of it using my billhook, I've been using it to split wood at home, its as good as a small axe I find. The wee Lidl pruning saws do the trick and only cost 3 quid..... :eek:

IMG_20200704_193230.jpg

Got the fire going and put the wet wood around to dry out.

IMG_20200704_200729.jpg

Time for a well earned refreshment after my efforts, its all about hydration in this game. ;)

For scran was keeping it simple, the plan was for a packet pasta for dinner and a couple of sausages on a roll for supper (and a couple more on a roll for brekky if I could be bothered).

IMG_20200704_203121.jpg

It started raining about this time, not a deal breaker but it started getting heavier about 10 and by the time I would have been putting the sausages on it was time to call it quits and head to the lavvu. I dried 'the boy' off and sent him in while I did a skirmish to make sure everything was tiddly, the wee shite had decided my bed looked better than his, he was quite the thing on my sleeping bag/mat etc. I reckoned he'd move soon enough so just lay beside him. Tossed and turned for a couple hours, spat out for a pee about 3 when I nicked back MY sleeping bag, the swine was still quite content on the mat (inside a bivvy bag to save it from claws thankfully) and it was only about 7 when he wanted out for a pee that I was able to get MY mat back for a couple hours.

Got up at the back of nine, the main reason I opted for the lavvu over a tarp was it gets light about 4 AM still so wanted the darkness of the lavvu. It was quite nice again but I didn't want to hang a round so packed my crap and whatsapped the missus to arrange an 'extraction'.

IMG_20200705_090315.jpg

Unfortunately the other pictures of the walk out are too big to add, it was a lovely morning though, by the time I got home it was lashing down again though so I was maybe lucky. It was just great to be out there though, looking forward to more expeds, Smurf has scoped out a few round the Ochils we need to try, we've got several months to make up for.

Nice post and pictures Bam :thumbsup: thanks for sharing.
Glad you missed the worst of the rain.
Liking the tie up on the Lavvu....nice to be rid of the pole:thumbsup:

Cheers Bill, the lack of the pole made it much easier when shitebg nicked my spot. I did get a wee bit of water coming through the lavvu which surprised me. It wasn't that bad but I'd fabsilled the crap out of it less than a year ago so wasn't expecting any. I had the rucksack on the outside hanging off a branch to make more space, it was all dry.

IMG_20200705_090300.jpg

Good stuff, nice write up mate, glad you got out and stayed 'hydrated' lol
Plenty room in the lavvu for lying straight out? (yes, it's got me thinking about one (again))

Reactions: Bam
Good stuff, nice write up mate, glad you got out and stayed 'hydrated' lol
Plenty room in the lavvu for lying straight out? (yes, it's got me thinking about one (again))

You have to be a bit 'tactical' with the pegging, try and stretch it a bit but aye, I often sleep with my legs curled which helps. I've no idea what size mine is but we could maybe figure it out ???? You're more than welcome to have a go with mine to see if it suits you Paul, happy to bring it along for the next catch up.

Spot on andy 👍🏻 Glad you got out, good to see the hydration was top priority 😁

By my own standards I was fairly abstemious, 2 cans and probably less than a bottle of red. Would probably have been more if I hadn't been driven to the lavvu by the rain, left half a cup out, it was more than an arms reach from the lavvu so I wasn't going out for it, that arsehole dug would have probably had my wallet too when I wasn't looking. 😡

Excellent stuff , you lazy stay in bed!!!!! :thumbsup: You are right, on the last canoe trip, I was up and preparing the fire at 04.15 :eek:
]Nice to see the lavvu......I find if pegged out drum tight, there's enough room at 6'4" for me to lie out straight, with the roof skimming my nose!! (Okay, it's a conk!)......but with an A frame you can peg it out taught as a taught thing......
Re sizing...if it has 3 holes???.......it's large....2. medium......1 small (I'm talking about the lavvu, not the thong or any bag!!!)

Fabulous site!!

Cheers Lol, when you say the number of holes, do you mean at the bottom of where you join them together ???

Cheers Lol, when you say the number of holes, do you mean at the bottom of where you join them together ???
At the bottom of the doors are 1,2, or 3 metalled peg holes or somesuch., you can see them in the photo with a white piece of shockcord on?

Attachments

• lavvu winter set up1.jpg
    lavvu winter set up1.jpg
    525.8 KB · Views: 152
At the bottom of the doors are 1,2, or 3 metalled peg holes or somesuch., you can see them in the photo with a white piece of shockcord on?

Cheers, I thought that's what you meant, mine's has 2 holes (fnarr fnarr) so medium I guess. I'm 6 foot and if I'm careful its long enough. Would be a bit snug for a couple dudes though.

It would be indeed be a medium and about 9" less in diameter, so squat all. Infact one of my lavvus (yup, I'm a 2 lavvu kinda guy!) is a marriage of a medium and a large............ No way for two, nice for one and kit...........

So another night in Devilla..... arranged to meet Smurf, his car was there but no Smurf which was a bit of a bugger, I had a present for him, its his 50th this week. Tried ringing and eventually got a message from him, he'd headed in on his own so the missus took his prezzie back with her while I headed in to meet him at our wee spot. There were some youths camping out on one of the trails, they seemed to be in good spirits (and cider, lager etc) and l left them to it, they were over 10 minutes from us and we're well off any paths. Met Smurf sat on the dyke with a beer in his hand and we cracked on and got set up. Smurf opted for his walking tent to keep the mozzies out, I risked the lavvu, partly for the darkness and the dug seems to really like it.

IMG_20200718_204027.jpg

IMG_20200718_204031.jpg

Then onto processing more firewood, there were a couple of toppled pines about 30 yards away so I hacked off the limbs and we dragged the boughs back to cut up with the hand saws. Again using the billhook I split a load and after playing with the sharp and pointy things it was time to join Smurf in a wee refreshment and get the fire going. Just a wee one, no need to go nuts and we've stashed plenty wood for the next time.

IMG_20200718_204019.jpg

Now on with scran preps, I was doing a chicken stew in my new (well, a few months old but hadn't had a chance to play) zebra pot, I got the 14cm with the intention of cooking for 2, I had the thing wedged by the time I'd finished. Whoops. :oopsy:

IMG_20200718_205530.jpg

The tatties, garlic and rosemary were all home grown, we do grow the rest of it apart from the mushrooms an that's something we're looking to do again. The chicken I diced at home to save dicking about with cleaning the knife.

IMG_20200718_224747.jpg

I'd invested in another one of the tripods that screw together, I'd killed one in the past hanging a dutch oven off it but lesson learned, for stuff like this is was more than adequate.

IMG_20200718_231554.jpg

The stew was a bit watery, I hadn't brought any flour to thicken it but I did have some 'artisan' cheese and leek bread to soak up some of the juice. Braw.

IMG_20200718_230706.jpg

After scran (which was quite late, probably about 11) we sat around for a bit, the dug was quite content in the lavvu, coming out from time to time to get a head clap and hang around before going back to his scratcher. Smurf racked out at the back of midnight and I sat with the fire for a bit longer, made sure the fire was done before spearing in myself. The dug got put on HIS bed and I got mine, midgie net on and that was me until the morning, got up about half 8 and got the water hot for a coffee then the frying pan on for a couple sausages on a roll for breaky..... braw.

IMG_20200719_091915.jpg

Smurf forgot his cup (and scran spanners and plates.... dafty) so was using my stanley pot as a cup, the tin is for his fag butts rather than him being a raging Jakey. :lol: Then it was time to put our crap away and head out. Here's the view of camp from the more open bit.

IMG_20200719_083805.jpg

Its a great time of year, there were wild rasps and billberries coming through so we were able to help ourselves as we headed out. Someone had gone to the trouble of planting some oak trees as well which is welcome as its still largely a working plantation.

Again, some of the phots I took on the way out are too big unfortunately but we were both just happy to be back out there, the wee spot is great for us, we maybe don't give it its due, we've never been bothered there, never seen another soul although there is a path about a hundred yards away and there's no shortage of fuel. The relatively short walk in (just over 20 mins) means you can go in with plenty gear too. Hoping to get further afield for our next trip but we're very fortunate to have this tucked in our back pockets for 'just in case'.

Back