• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Devilla Forest.... Again....

Bam

Extremely Addicted
Made it out last night for an overnighter, the missus dropped me and Bam (the dug) off and its about a 20 minute walk to a wee spot that me and Smurf use if we're running away to play in the woods. Got there just as it was getting dark so the pictures are a bit crap (using the phone) and setting up was the priority. I took the lavvu as I had a notion to try Bam in it and intended to rig it without a pole between 2 trees using paracord to maintain the height. That turned out to be a bit of an epic fail so the pole was deployed. I set up my wee table and stool and set about a wee fire. I'd grudgingly bought a bag of kindle for a fiver, I was after a couple of fire logs and was going to supplement them with local wood but they didn't have them. Plenty wood at home I could have used but hey ho...

Had my 'dinner of champions', a tin of beans and wee snorkers with dehydrated onion and chillies in it then grated cheese thrown in. I ripped up a wrap to mop it all up..... braw. Just took a gas stove in, I've got a couple of cylinders with a bit of gas that needs used up.

Time for a wee fire now.....

Bam just stooged about, plenty sniffies to keep him occupied but he doesn't go far, a few cups of loud mouth soup while feeding the fire then it was time to retire to the lavvu

Was forecast for rain and snow last night, we timed it right, speared in for about 10 just as it was starting and by the sounds of it, it rained pretty much all night until I was spat out for a pee about quarter to six this morning, Bam seems to prefer the tent to the tarp, maybe just a case of he was 'stuck' so made the most of it but seemed to sleep straight through too instead of doing his guard dog routine. We didn't bother with breakfast, I started breaking camp and packing, sent the 'chauffeur' a text to see if she was available, she was so time to head, the lavvu had done its job keeping us dry and toasty.

We timed our leaving well, just as I was setting off, the predicted snow started to fall, me and Bam provided some comic relief for the missus when she got to us.

All in all, a good wee night away, much as I like the idea of the lavvu, the tarp is lighter and can be more spacious, I'll need to work on non-pole options, more field research required me thinks.

Way to go guys nice to see you out and about.
Good luck with the Lavau no pole set ups and trials.
When you find what suits you..... Wang up some pictures for us.

Thanks for sharing and the pictures.

Sometimes just nipping out for a couple of hours under a tarp for a meal and coffee in the woods.....a bit of carving maybe............ is enough.

Just to silence the voices....twitch......twitch.......👍

Looks great and you kept dry, which is nice. Good to see Bam got settled too!

Aye, the tarp set up works better, I set up in the usual spot with the intention of stringing a line between the 'tarp trees' but it didn't work. Maybe a bit more patience and playing around required but it was getting dark and done by headtorch. I found a bottle there, looked like it had been there a while and we must have missed it but some Goddamn interlopers may have found our wee spot. :evilstare: You get your chores done, you allowed out to play next weekend ???

Aye, the tarp set up works better, I set up in the usual spot with the intention of stringing a line between the 'tarp trees' but it didn't work. Maybe a bit more patience and playing around required but it was getting dark and done by headtorch. I found a bottle there, looked like it had been there a while and we must have missed it but some Goddamn interlopers may have found our wee spot. :evilstare: You get your chores done, you allowed out to play next weekend ???
Hopefully the bottle was old... It's worth trying the different setup there than in the middle of nowhere! I think I am allowed out next weekend - just need to think where to go...

Hopefully the bottle was old... It's worth trying the different setup there than in the middle of nowhere! I think I am allowed out next weekend - just need to think where to go...

Yup, totally agree, for a couple of marching paces I thought about leaving the pole behind thinking if needed I could use a locally sourced alternative but then thought "what are you doing dafty, the weight is minimal and the walk is a mile" so glad I took them. Looking forward to having another go though.

nice pictures and write up mate :D Need to obey the voices soon as I’m getting cabin fever 😕

Reactions: Bam
nice pictures and write up mate :D Need to obey the voices soon as I’m getting cabin fever 😕

I got so bad a couple years ago I even thought about having a wee overnighter on the fields behind my scheme where we walk the dugs. :lol:

Fortunately I was able to make Devilla and spared the blushes of getting caught by my dug walking pals. :rolleyes:

Back