• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

did not know there was a difference

Just been checking out the Scottish rules and it appears that any airgun over one Joule is subject to the new legislation and I quote;
WHAT AIR WEAPONS ARE COVERED BY THE NEW LEGISLATION?
Section 1 of the 2015 Act sets out the meaning of “air weapon” for the purposes of the licensing regime.
Any air weapon to be covered by the regime must first be a firearm within the meaning of section 57(1) of the 1968 Act: that is, it must be a lethal barrelled weapon from which a bullet, missile or other projectile can be fired.
In addition, only air weapons defined in section 1(3) (b) of the 1968 Act are devolved to the Scottish Parliament. This does not include a weapon which has been declared specially dangerous by the Secretary of State.
Throughout this guidance, any reference to air weapon means “air rifle, air gun or air pistol”, as set out in section 1(3) (b) of the 1968 Act.
Against this background the definition of air weapons for the purposes of the 2015 Act covers all air weapons with a muzzle velocity exceeding 1 joule (0.74 ft/lbs), but not those required to be held on a firearms certificate under the 1968 Act i.e. air rifles with a muzzle velocity exceeding 12ft/lbs (16.3 joules) or 6ft/lbs (8.15 joules) for an air pistol.
I PARTICIPATE IN AIRSOFT AND I AM A MEMBER OF UKARA, DO I NEED A CERTIFICATE?
Airsoft guns with a muzzle energy below 2.5 joules (or 1.3 joules for fully automatic guns) are not covered by the 2015 Act. These guns are already controlled by the firearms legislation, notably the Violent Crime Reduction Act 2006. Airsoft guns above these muzzle energies may require a certificate – you should contact the police for advice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bam
Back