• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Different to baby wipes

Harry Palmer

Very Addicted
Tried something similar and wasn't that keen on them, very very thin and tore easy, I'll stick to my wipes :)

I use them for cleaning pots rather than myself but they're ok for the price, they're not designed to be a long term item but a handy light weight alternative.

Are these another disposable product that contains microscopic traces of plastic that are going to enter our watercourses?

Are these another disposable product that contains microscopic traces of plastic that are going to enter our watercourses?

Yes, same as baby wipes. To be honest, if I'm on a weekend trip I only wash my hands in water and shake dry and I do have hand sanitizer. Don't use hand sanitizer on dirty hands as all you are doing is sealing in dirt, swill clean first. I'll be going back to ye olde days of a bit of soap, cotton flannel and small towel.

I'm not sure I ever left the dark ages when it comes to hygiene....best not stand downwind:confused: a good stink is the only thing that will keep the demons of ill health away.
And the mossies

Another fan of wet wipes here.

I normally decant some shower gel into a smaller bottle.....use it for personal hygiene and the washing up too.....jobs a good'un :D

Damn.....I was hoping these would be biodegradeable

No chance lol which along with discarded fat is one of the main reasons for our sewers getting blocked up

The sewer problem is the main reason I started looking for alternatives to plastic baby wipes. As I said earlier I'm going back to a cotton flannel and a bit of soap on trips over a couple of nights.

The sewer problem is the main reason I started looking for alternatives to plastic baby wipes. As I said earlier I'm going back to a cotton flannel and a bit of soap on trips over a couple of nights.
I do carry baby wipes in my kit Harry but once used they get burnt other than that like you I use the good old fashioned toweling flannel

I wouldn't put baby wipes down the toilet anyway , because of our connected to the sewerage system we have a pump and macerator, they cause havoc with it . I'll be using my 50 compressed towels for when I am out camping so will be carrying them out with me and disposing of them in the bin .

They will still go into landfill which is not good I suppose so will now be considering an alternative , however not a flannel :snug:

Remember blue for face , brown for bum
:whistle:

as an alternative to shower gel use anti-bac hand wash (making sure you avoid the .1% of germs they donā€™t defeat).

I always carried a small bottle in my bergan wash kit to use with a flannel and it works really well.

I wouldn't put baby wipes down the toilet anyway , because of our connected to the sewerage system we have a pump and macerator, they cause havoc with it . I'll be using my 50 compressed towels for when I am out camping so will be carrying them out with me and disposing of them in the bin .

They will still go into landfill which is not good I suppose so will now be considering an alternative , however not a flannel :snug:

Remember blue for face , brown for bum
:whistle:
The compressed towels should be biodegradable

Find a nice patch of Grass and doggy shuffle ;)
53158D18-97B4-4235-A972-04D254876F89.jpeg

Interesting point, in most cases immersion in water of any temperature without surfactants like soap or shower gell will be sufficient to reduce the bacterial loading on your hands to safe levels if you wash your hands for longer than is usual. (2-3 minutes as opposed to the average of 12 seconds)
Surfactants like soap speed up the process but ultimately it is water (whatever it's temperature) that kills germs or reduces the bacterial loading on your hands. Soap is usefull for removing grease but then again white wood ash and water are just as effective, both on hands and dishes.

However Ystranc, I do take exception to one comment, if referring to Ark's picture...ā€¦ā€¦..my bum is NOT an "interesting point":fedup::oopsy::poo:!!!!!!!!

Back