• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register
Digital NV Add On Review

Review Digital NV Add On Review

MacOne

Very Addicted
MacOne submitted a new resource:

Digital NV Add On Review - Review Of The Digital NV Add On

NV system sub four figure sum that will compete with the clarity and range of this scope, this is a seriously stonking piece of kit. Conditions last night were not in the scopes favour, low mist was causing slight rebound on the laser but the picture obtained was absolutely fantastic! I kid you not! For the money involved this monocular competes against the Gen 1 fraternity and in all honesty blows them away.

THE MONOCULAR - It's very light in itself, much more so than a Yukon for example...

Read more about this resource...

Nice one Chris,

How did it compoare to Barries digital one, that I did not get a chance to look through?

Regards Silverback

I think in all honesty that was MY fault.

I was somewhat preoccupied with getting mine to work, then cooking then drinking...... that I didn't get Barrys out (gambo) to have a good look at. I did look though it in daylight next to mine but not at night. But I think that was due to the event, not having the right illumination and the fact I could look at Barry's anytime I asked him as I am a frequent user of his services and hospitality ;) I could look through Airgunners scope next weekend if I wanted to drive up and see him. So comparing side by side was a mistake. Only reduced by the fact they should both be in their crowning glory before the comparison and THEN vs price.

The Pulsar and the Add On in daylight in picture quality...I would say are a dead heat. On field of view, which is my main point on the review the N550 walks away with 2 fingers in the air!

The "Add On" spits after them that it cost LESS than half the price.

So if you're asking me Richard, what would you rather have on a sub 12 airgun?

No question................its the pulsar!

No can I have a part time job to afford the four figure sum?

Because its the "powder" behind the projectile that narrows down the comparison of the scopes in my honest opinion.

If I had the Laser at the meet I would have been VERY much more into leaving everyone to do their own thing and going back to Uncle Barry's caravan.................

was out with chris at 1 of our golf coarses testing this kit good bit of kit but i don't think in my oppinion that its suitable for sub 12 airrifle range as the image is too big we looked through my scope at 4 mag and the pic had alot more field of veiw compared to the kit on chris's gun which was on 3 mag but the sight pic looked like it was on 10 - 12 mag, i agree with chris as i would like to see the kit on a powder gun as they have longer ranges which i think this kit would suit as we looked at object at 60 + range and they seem to have more field of view

As the supplier doesn't come on here often and I think its only fair to post his replies to my comments I have pasted them below from another forum. I don't think he'll mind lol

QUOTE -

In the products defence .....

A warts 'n' all review, which I think is very fair and about as unbiased as possible. Well done Chris. [And for the kind remarks in the footnote.]

I'll be busy tomorrow, looking for x1 to x5 mag scopes for you 12ft/lbs airgunners!

There is NOTHING wrong with the monocular as such. Its finding the working combo between scope and monocular that is the key. Now after discussion and reading the comments back it could be worthwhile trying the monocular on a 1.5x scope and hopefully increasing the Field Of View. One obvious choice is the Whitetail Classic. Now, there is no side wheel paralax which means focusing is more difficult also it has a very small objective lens which may cause problems with light. However, with the right amount of IR it could possibly work. As the obj lens is smalll it will also have a good depth of field in its range so paralax focus for a sub 12 may not be such an issue.

There is also the 1.5x Mamba as well. Barry has one of these so a trial of that scope is in order. One thing on the mamba though is as far as I am aware it comes only with the German 4A ret. Now as the monocular is fitted with a x1 lens it obviously increases the thickness of the reticle. So the ret may be a tad on the thick side also I think its x40+ obj size lens so I'd have to see the depth of field without paralax. But its certainly worth a go.

The other option is if the supplier could source a 0.5 obj lens for the monocular as he spoke about in his comments.

So its not time for it to move on yet...... I'll put some more time into it because if I can get the right combo for sub 12 its going to be a winner.

Right, I've missed an important factor here and waiting to hear back from Geoffrey on it. I don't know why I didn't think of it before.

Digital SLR's have a CCD, that is what is light sensitive to catch your photo like a 35mm negative. Now in the cheaper range of cameras this CCD is not full frame. So it has a cropping factor of 1.8 What this means is that if you put a 100mm lens on the camera you will actually get more like a 180mm lens result. Now if the camera has a FULL FRAME sensor when you put a 100mm lens on it you get 100mm. The difference between my walk around DLSR Canon 20D and my posh job Canon MK2d is serveral thousands of pounds. Its the CCD in the NV monocular that gives you the Night time picture.

So I see no reason why you couldn't drop a full frame sensor into the monocular.... well only one, PRICE!

But digital cost is coming down all the time so I'd be interested to know if a full frame sensor could go in the monocular and still come in cheaper than the Pulsar N550. Because then, although you would have the mag on the monocular for longer range shooting if the price becomes too close you would have to lean towards the pulsar for its on board special features such as the ability to upload/choose rets and its nifty zeroing system.

You're doing him a good service mate. If he gets this one licked he could be onto a real winner;)

Kind of. But all in all we seem in agreement that its really the lens that has to change on the monocular. I can't do that so its down to him and his suppliers really. Its realistic to go to a full frame sensor because thats too expensive for the competition its up against.
A lower mag scope is a get by until that comes up really.

But I have no doubts there is nothing to beat it in the price range for picture quality so I do want to get it sorted. If that isn't going to happen I will more than likely sell it on to a HMR user shooting over longer distances and thereby more FOV. What I would do then is look at a Cobra Merlin as an alternative. As its tubed you won't have this problem. You will hoever, lose the ability to walk round with the add on switched on and able to zero in daylight without any fear of damage.

I'm getting one of these through the post today and as you say Macone Geoffrey is a brilliant bloke :) i'll let you know what i think of it ;)

i use a sonynightshot camcorder with an adapter that fits onto the back of my day scope. i had made at a local machine shop for my nv i also use a 200mw laser for the ir ...with this set up can see full rabbit picture out to 100yrds

Back