• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Dirty Spuds

Joecole

Very Obsessed
If like me you live on heavy clay soil your root veg will come up covered in mud and you can spend ages scrubbing them clean before peeling them so I came up with a novel idea to make life easier. Take the required number of potatoes and stick them in the dishwasher (minus the dishwasher tab obviously) stick the washer on a half hour wash cycle and turn it on. Believe me having just done it I assure you that it does work

I had the same problem with Jerusalem Artichokes Joe. My wife bought one of those cages with a lid for deep frying chips. We place the dirt covered Jerusalem Artichokes in that & simply agitate it in a deep flower pot. Works beautifully:)
Keith.

I had the same problem with Jerusalem Artichokes Joe. My wife bought one of those cages with a lid for deep frying chips. We place the dirt covered Jerusalem Artichokes in that & simply agitate it in a deep flower pot. Works beautifully:)
Keith.
I just needs ingenuity Keith, I love my Jerusalem artichokes roasted because it really brings out the sweet smokey flavor

I just needs ingenuity Keith, I love my Jerusalem artichokes roasted because it really brings out the sweet smokey flavor
Totally agree Joe, roasting is the best way.
Keith.

A simple solution would be to grow them in hay or under black plastic membrane (spuds)
We have a crop under hay in a raised garden bed Bob. Didn't get much of a crop this way last year, have to wait & see what we get this year.
Keith.

We have a crop under hay in a raised garden bed Bob. Didn't get much of a crop this way last year, have to wait & see what we get this year.
Keith.
last year I grew some in compost in specially designed bags and they were excellent
20170210_111813-jpg.8905

Old tyres stacked on top of each other filled with compost works very well also very easy to harvest and they don't decompose
We did try that one time too Bob, but not with compost & I think the soil was pretty poor. We are thinking of getting another truck load of mushroom compost so I might try it again:thumbsup:
Keith.

We did try that one time too Bob, but not with compost & I think the soil was pretty poor. We are thinking of getting another truck load of mushroom compost so I might try it again:thumbsup:
Keith.

Spent mushroom compost Tidy (y) I use to get that give a good watering put in a dark warm place mushrooms for weeks, then used it as compost

Back