• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Disease.

Probably find the spaghetti tree wasn't restricted to urbanites.

I can tell the difference between wheat, barley and oats from maize; how is corn different?
I think I am correct in saying that Maize is popcorn. Makes a good light trail food.
Keith.

Corn/maize are the same thing; it's a common mistake for people in the uk to refer to all cereal crops but especially wheat as "corn" which isn't the correct terminology.

Popcorn is a whole grain maize product -- it's grown extensively in the Corn Belt states of the U.S., where the majority of popcorn sold worldwide is grown. It resembles corn-on-the-cob in appearance and cultivation, although only popcorn kernels have the ability to pop.

Popcorn, like all six types of corn, is a cereal grain and originates from a wild grass. Its scientific name is Zea mays everta, and it is the only type of corn to actually pop.
https://www.popcorn.org/facts-fun/from-seed-to-snack

I think they make "Corn" flakes out of Maize, the rest goes for animal feed, any around here is maize and goes for feed.
I've been told the difference is in the taste.

Last edited:
Probably find the spaghetti tree wasn't restricted to urbanites.
well to be fair it was 1957, long before a lot of you were even a twinkle in your fathers eye, and spaghetti was then something fairly "exotic", we are talking a few years after rationing ended.

Corn and maize are one and the same, maize is just a Spanish corruption of the original new world name while corn is the English name for the same thing. There are a multitude of different varieties though.

i have been told you wouldn't want to eat the "maize" grown around here, its principally for stock feed. I suppose if you were starving you'd chance it.

Like I said, different varieties, some are more fast growing, disease resistant or hardy while others are larger or sweeter...red, black, green or yellow...its all just corn.
Most of the corn grown in the UK goes into animal feed. Our climate suits wheat and barley much better. New varieties of soya beans are creeping into Britain as well as oil seed rape.

its all hill farming near me, you have to go some miles east to see arable farms, I see this stuff growing on my travels around the area.
we've had oil seed rape in Devon for decades probably longer, you cant miss those bright yellow fields.

Last edited:
Back